8 | realise

I could still feel the sting of my bruising hand as we walked down the street, it lay there limp at my side swaying with each step.

"I don't care how many times you've seen it on teenage mutant ninja turtles you can't do it, you are going to break your neck." Nick yells at Leon.

My heartbeat was still loud and erratic but my breathing had slowly become normal. As we walked the two brothers bickered along with Aaron about pointless subjects. Pushing and shoving whilst sharing laughter. It was an odd site for someone like me. I'd spent my whole childhood in isolation away from other children, not knowing the feeling of a warm embrace or a friendly shove. I only knew love from afar. Not knowing whether I was jealous or just curious I openly ogled at the relationship between the boys. It was so different and yet at the same time so similar to the one Zeke and his sisters shared.

Zeke walked next to me in sync. "Are you feeling better?" He asks looking down at me.

I hadn't ever put much thought into it. Was I okay with being untouchable. Was I fine sitting on the sidelines. I'd never craved the feeling of touch before. I'd never even thought of it until now. Watching the interaction between the three boys and Fly was somewhat magical. Laughing, shoving and jumping around each other. Did I want to be so careless, so free?

I look down at my hand at Zeke's question. It was a little swollen and very bruised but I didn't feel as disgusted at the thought of the skin to skin contact. I'd always felt the nauseation of touch hours after the fact but now, after only a few minutes I felt just a small discomfort. Had I been growing out of the phobia without noticing it or was it the interaction between new people helping?

"My breathing is back to normal so that's good." I finally answer.

"No I am telling you that wonder woman is the superior super hero. When she walks into no mans land it's absolutely mind blowing." I overhear Fly arguing with the boys. They were walking just in front of us, turning around ever so often to see our opinions on some fight they were having.

"I had fun today. More fun that I've had in a while. I mean punching a guy in the face wasn't that ideal nor was my freaking out but the rest of it was fun. I had a really good time. Thanks for inviting me." I smile looking up at Zeke.

"I'm really glad. Everyone else had a good time too." He laughs as Aaron stubbles. 

"You don't think they'll come back for round two do you?" I ask thinking back to the three boys. I shiver at the thought. I'd had enough contact with them for a lifetime.

"I'm not sure but moose is a sore loser so I wouldn't be surprised." He sighs.

Shit.

"It'll be fine though. I'll protect you. I'll give the left right goodnight." Aaron says as he punches the air. I couldn't tell if he was being serious or not because his face was just so into it. I let slip a laugh.

"More like you'll pull a hamstring before he gets two feet infront of you." Nick laughs pushing Aaron. Fly and Leon join in with the laughter.

"One time. It happened one time." Aaron whines.

Fly jumps up on his back still laughing. "Don't worry Aaron. I'd let you protect me. Against a bunny rabbit." She laughs harder as he pushes her off.

It was still early but Zeke assured me it would be absolutely fine to all hang out at his place. 'It's kind of a tradition. Mum loves compliments so we always come home early whiles she's cooking.' he had said. 'It always smells sooo good and she just thrives off of us telling her that.' Fly added. So as we walked down the driveway the smell of roast was welcomed.

Aaron leaped up the stairs and opened up the door letting Fly in first and then myself.

As I walk through the door behind Fly I hear my mothers voice "What in hells name happened to your hand!?"

"She broke Moose's nose." Fly explains casually.

"Fly!" I yell.

"Oh right. I'm Fly, pleasure to meet you." Fly says holding we hand out to my mother. She looks back and smiles. That's not what I meant.

"You broke someone's nose?! someone called moose?!" My mother shrieks as she shakes Flys hand. Zeke's mother looks equally horrified.

"Dinner smells nice." I comment.

"Don't you dare try change the topic missy." Zekes mother scolds.

"It's not a big deal I'm fine." I say as the twins come over to inspect my hand.

"Not a big deal?" Mum says as she walks up next Alaina and Alira.

"Zeke this better not be your fault!" Zeke's mother says raising a brow. Zeke shrinks back behind me.

"It's fine. Seriously. Fly and I were outside minding our own business when I get a milkshake thrown at me and then it just kinda escalated." I say shrugging. My mother's face written in both shock and disbelief.

"Are you sure it was Moose and not like I don't know an ugly baby." Alaina snorts earning a smack from her mother.

"He does look like an ugly baby doesn't he?" I admit. The twins and Fly laugh.

"It was Moose and I can prove it because I got Sam to give me a copy." Nick says as he holds up a cd.

"When did you get that?!" Leon asks amazed. Making everyone but the mothers to laugh.

"Let me see that." Alaina snatched the cd and ran to her laptop in the lounge room. My mother still looking concerned followed her.

So for the second time that day I was surrounded by people ready to watch me break someone's nose. Alaina had hooked her laptop into the television while Alira had made popcorn. Nick and Fly got some blankets as we all sat down on the couch ready to watch the scene unfold.

a/n: do you guys like this chapter? I'm having trouble writing again but i'm trying. where do you think the story is going? where do you want it to go? tell me your thoughts.