14 | show and tell.

It was the night of the party. I sat up on the second floor that looked over the first. It was just as Nikolas had described. Whatever the old building used to be I presume this was the area where the boss looked down over all the employees or something similar. It was nice that the boys considered me and asked me to come but even nicer when they dragged their old couch and table up all the stairs so Fly and I would have a place to sit comfortably.

The music was loud, quieter upstairs but still loud. The people were dancing and having fun. The boys were right. The atmosphere of the music and people was really something.

"I hope its not to loud." Zeke speaks up for the first time in a while. He's been very nervous for the past hour.

"I love it." I smile. I watch as Zeke let's go a sigh of relief and relaxes his shoulders.

"Really?" He adds. Just to be sure.

"Yeah. It's a completely different environment than what I'm used to but its beautiful in its own way." I explain.

"You think its beautiful?" Nick interjects. His brows pinched together taking in my words.

"I mean.. yeah. Sure there will be meaningless hookups and horrendous headaches but there's a whole lot else happening. See that guy with the obnoxiously orange shirt." I begin, pointing out the boy. Not that I needed to as you could see that shirt a mile away.

"Peter. He was in my English class." Fly sits up to attention.

"He's been trying to build up to courage to talk to the girl with pink hair for the last twenty minutes. It's funny though. Because I think she has a crush on him too." I speak as I watch the couple. Their both nervously looking over at each other, even from where I sit I can see the blushes their cheeks hold.

"Woah... That's Alice." Fly says as she leans forward on the couch. "She's had a crush on Peter for like three years." She turns to me eye wide and smiling. "How did you see that?"

"It's not that hard. It's written all over their faces." I reply with a shrug.

"She can tell the twins apart too. It's like she's a psychic." Zeke smiles confidently.

"Just good at observing that's all." I muse.

"Do you think he'll do it." Fly asks bringing the conversation back to the boy in the orange shirt.

"I don't think so." I shrug.

"I think he needs a friendly push." Fly says as she gets up with a evil smile on her face.

-

It was now some time later, Fly had rejoined me after giving her two old classmates a friendly push or as it looked to me dragged them over to each other and forced confessions out of them. Nick was trying to hide from Aaron's pesky behaviour while Aaron was trying to find Nick so he could 'annoy the shit out of him' as he liked to put it. And Zeke had just left for a bathroom break. He was enjoying himself and it was good to see him let loose though he would be wildly hungover tomorrow.  I didn't know what would be better, seeing him drunk or hungover.

Though right now my mind was elsewhere. Just after he had left Fly and myself gained some unwanted company. Some very rude and drunk company.

My eyes roamed the hoards of people looking for someone who could help. I felt cornered and helpless... I couldn't imagine how Fly was feeling. The derogatorive and homophobic insults directed at her were repulsive. I hadn't ever heard such disgusting things... it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I bring my eyes back to Fly only to see her roll her eyes and tell Moose to piss off. Her voice sounds strong and confident but her actions tell me she's anything but. Her fingers fumble at the seams of the couch and her knee bobs up and down at a fast pace.

"Fly." I try to reassure.

Moose snorts at whatever his friend had just said. Something foul I'm sure.

People don't change. He hasn't changed since I punched him in the face. He didn't learn his lesson. How do you get someone like that to listen?

I don't know what came over me in that moment but I had to shut them up. And they had clearly not learned their lesson last time when I punched Moose in the face. I had to do something now. So I turned to Fly whispering a small trust me and with both hands pulled her face to mine and kissed her. She was shocked at first. Wide eyed and hesitant. That was until she smiled into the kiss and flipped Moose and his friends off with and outstretched arm.

"I'm sorry. I just really needed them to shut up. They didn't seem like the type to be reasoned with with words." I say once I let go and the homophobic assholes that are Moose and his meathead friends are gone.

In my haste of kissing Fly I hadn't realised the three boys had joined us.

"I didn't know you liked girls." Nick says looking confused.

"I don't usually. Not like that anyway." I say. My hands still out in front of myself where Flys face once was. They shake with uncertainty.

"You aren't hyperventilating." Fly notes. Her lips are slightly red and puffy from the kiss but all her eyes show is concern.

"I'm still shocked to be honest. I can't believe I just did that." I whisper.

"Neither can I." Zeke adds. 

"Wow I need to take a cold shower." Aaron adds with his mischievous grin.

"Ugh you're so gross Aaron." Fly rolls her eyes and swings her fist hitting him square in the chest.

"Ow. I was kidding." He mumbles.

"I don't think Moose will be back any time soon. Thanks." Fly smiles. Though the boys look confused. She explains the situation as I start to become aware of my now eradicate breathing.

"Hey." Zeke whispers softly. And that was all I needed to come back to reality. He smiles and I smile too because this boy is making me feel things I thought I'd never feel.

"Do you think people change?" Fly asks softly after a while.

No. They don't.

"I think they evolve." I say choosing my words carefully.

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"Well I think the word change implies instantly. I don't think people can just change their behaviour or beliefs. I think that if they get enough information and enough time and their minds are open, then and only then people begin to evolve. I won't change or be any different tomorrow. But hopefully with time and practice I'll evolve into something... someone more. I mean it takes time to get a habit formed right?" I begin to get nervous. I didn't know what answer Fly wanted but this was all J could give her.

"You have a really unique way of seeing the word." Fly smiles and then adds "You already are something more."