21 | happier

Walking to my room with a spring in my step I close the door. Starting to take my shirt off I'm startled by something. Or someone should I say. Zeke sits there on my bed red faces and eyes wide.

"Are you okay?" Comes my mother's voice from downstairs. I hadn't realised I screamed so loud.

"Just a really big spider will you come squish it for me!" I yell back looking Zeke in the eyes.

Zeke's eyes go wides and he thrashes his hands in a anyway that signifies the word 'stop'. "She'll kill me." He whispers harshly. He looked terrified and I couldn't help but laugh just a little.

Placeing my index finger to my lips I shush him and wait for her response. Zeke looks at me questionablely and raises a brow. A moment later we hear my mother's laughter fill the house.

"Good luck." She shouts back no doubt going back to whatever she was doing.

"What are you doing here?" I finally question sitting on the end of my bed.

"We made plans." He tells me but it comes out more like a question.

"Yeah to meet at yours last time I checked this is my house." I laugh standing back up and going to my wardrobe. I still needed to change my shirt, I had been cleaning with mum all morning and it was probably coated with dust... actually considering how clean we keep this house it's probably coated with cleaning spay.

"You were late." He shrugs.

That can't be right I think to myself. I only checked my phone a few minutes ago. Checking it again quickly I sigh and look at that smug look on his face. "A minute!" That little shit. I am only a minute late! I quickly take my shirt off and throw it at him though he catches it with ease.

"Ugh do you want me to leave?"  He mumbles quiet, his eyes everywhere but looking at me.

"Just close your eyes loser." I laugh at him.

"Loser? your dating this loser." The word slips out of his mouth and I saw the surprise on his face. It had been only two month since our first date and not once had he nor I called each other that.

"Don't remind me." I laughed trying to keep the butterflies down.

"What are we?" He says after a moments silence.

"What?" I laugh awkwardly. He was so cute when he was flustered.

"I mean I know we are dating but are we boyfriend girlfriend dating or or just boy friend girl friend dating?" He asks quickly fiddling with the shirt I had thrown at him only moments ago. "It's just that the boys pointed out I didn't actually ask you to be my girlfriend but it was kinda too late. Like what if I just assumed we were and we aren't or I asked and we already were and–"

I stop him by pressing my index finger on his lips. The motion only slightly uncomfortable but bearable.

"Will you be my boyriend?" I ask.

I watch as his smile grows big and he nods his head.

"You are the biggest loser... a cute loser though. my loser." I say as I lean forward and kiss my boyfriend.

It was a month later and there was no longer a sting in my bones. I was still unable to hold the ones I cared about but I could touch them for moments at a time. A kiss on the cheek when I left the house for my mother. A pinky swear to the twins next door. Walking arm in arm with Fly. Swatting at Aaron when got annoying. Fixing the tie for his little brother when he went for his job interview at the ice cream place. Yes he wore a tire to an interview at an ice cream place. His brother Aaron is an ass and told him he had too. Giving Nick a high-five when he beat Aaron at something. These were all things I could do now.

I could kiss my boyfriend and still be okay. I was okay and I am going to keep being okay for as long as I can. And that's all I can do.

The end.

Authors note: This is not at all how I planned this book out but in retrospect I should have still planned it better. I think i'm just sick of this book sitting there so I kind of cut it off and just finished it. oh well i'll just call it a short story till i get the overwhelming urge to rewrite the whole thing. Tough year. good few nights though that turned into weeks so i feel okay. Started writing another story 😂 i can't help myself. that's like sixteen works in progress now. i think i'll keep them private till they are done through so i don't run into this problem.

a