Chapter 9: The Deal

I am currently in Kakarot's guest room changing into my usual clothes when I hear a loud knock on the door. I sigh to myself as I quickly pull on my spandex and open it to address whoever was bothering me.

I manage to give Kakarot's mate a small smile as she blatantly frowns. 

"What's wrong?" I ask. "If you're going to ask me where Gohan is, I don't know. Kakarot sneaks him out of the house sometimes since you force the boy to study so hard."

She rolls her eyes before smacking me harshly on the head. "Gohan is a promising young boy! He is going to be one of the world's top scientists! I don't want him to be a mindless brute like his father!"

I could not help but laugh at her last words. As much as I enjoyed the jest, I am in a hurry right now.

"Please get to the point harpy. I'm about to go out to train with Kakarot and the others in a bit."

"I want you to go home Vegeta. Bulma has been calling me every hour since you've stayed here, and it is driving me insane! She is really worried about you!"

My body leans back in pure surprise. I knew the Woman was pestering them, but I didn't know she was this persistent. "Why the hell would the Woman worry about me!? She has her stupid cheating mate to worry about!"

Chi-Chi's eyes widen at my words for a second, but she instantly regains composure as if things clicked for her. I suppose Kakarot has chosen to be with this Earthling for more than just her looks and her cooking.

"So that's why you chose to stay with us after your visit with the Supreme Kai. Goku told me you were having trouble with Bulma at home, and I didn't ask much about it because that is your guys' business. It doesn't make sense though. I thought for sure she was into you."

I sigh, feeling a wave of sadness wash over me. "She made her decision. I want her, but it's like she's been brainwashed. I'm sorry. I don't want to talk about this right now. A lot is going through my mind."

"Vegeta," she says. "Things are going to be okay. I do agree with you that Bulma deserves better. Even though she ran back to Yamcha, they will probably break up soon as usual."

"Do they always do that? Break up and get back together?" I question.

Chi-Chi nods her head. "As far back to when they were teenagers. I stopped feeling sorry a year after I became friends with them. Goku gets annoyed from hearing about their relationship too, but he's been best friends with Bulma since he was a kid so that is why he tolerates their behavior. He does get angry at them sometimes."

"That is so unhealthy. Then again, my life has not been the greatest." I laugh dryly afterwards, and Kakarot's mate soon joins.

"Tell me about it," she says. "I love the both of them, but they're so toxic together."

I smile at Chi-Chi. "Thank you for talking to me about this. I try not to think about it because I do need to focus on defeating the enemy. The others and I are going to discuss another strategy today to see what we can do."

The harpy breaks out into a joyous expression. "I think I'm starting to like you now. I can see why Goku thinks of you as his best friend."

"I don't know what to say about that honestly. Kakarot is still a third-class to me."

I'm taken aback when I feel the harpy's arms wrap around me. "We both know you also consider my darling Goku as your closest friend. He admires you a lot."

I am slightly embarrassed by the sudden display of affection, but I hesitantly decide to return the gesture. The Earthlings are such an unorthodox species.