Chapter 02

As I'm training with my weapons I notice that it is awfully quiet. Have I missed another city meeting again? I click on a button on my vibranium bracelet and check my inbox. I see that I have a new message. I click on it and it opens up.

"We have spotted an intruder. Come to the meeting hall immediately.
— W'Kabi."
Sent 10 minutes ago.

'Shoot! I always miss meetings.' I run to the meeting hall and open the door. I see the leaders of every tribe and a few of their warriors next to them. Phew. Just on time.

I stand next to my mother who holds my hand. 'Shuri!' I whisper. She looks back at me. 'Who's the intruder?' 'Erik Stevens "Killmonger".' 'Who the hell is that?' I ask with furrowed eyebrows. My mother slaps me on the arm. 'Language!' 'Ah why did you have to smack me so hard?' Shuri laughs at me. 'He-he.' I mimic her.

Suddenly the doors open. A few Wakandan warriors of Dora Milaje and W'Kabi enter the hall with a brown skinned stranger in cuffs.

His beard hugs his jawline perfectly and above his pink lips lies a thick mustache

His beard hugs his jawline perfectly and above his pink lips lies a thick mustache. His dreads soothe him perfectly.

I mean.. he's cute. Nothing more, nothing less. 'Who is this man W'Kabi?' T'Challa asks. 'This man has killed Ulysses Klaue, our enemy that we have been hunting for years.' 'Impossible.' T'Challa says. 'I'm afraid not my king. We saw the body.' T'Challa stands up and takes a few steps towards the stranger. 'I know who you are. Erik Killmonger.'

'You think you do. But you don't know nothing about me at all.' The stranger speaks with his low, deep voice. 'Who are you then?' I ask. I ignore the warnings of my mother and look the stranger dead in his eyes. He looks at me and then back to T'Challa.

'It is my duty to protect Wakanda and to make sure that it doesn't fall into the hands of a crazy person like you.' T'Challa says in a calm tone. As he is walking to his throne he stops in his tracks by the words of the stranger. 'I am N'Jadaka! Son of prince N'Jobu who was murdered by your father. I found my dad with panther claws in his chest! Your father wasn't a hero, he killed his own brother!'

Loud gasps leave people their mouths. 'That is not true!' Queen mother says upset. 'I am afraid so, Queen mother.' W'Kabi lifts a necklace up. A shiny ring dangles on the necklace. I notice that it is the same ring that T'Challa is wearing.

T'Challa walks up to N'Jadaka. 'What do you want?'

 'What do you want?'

'I want the trone.' He simply says. I don't know who this N'Jadaka is but one thing I know for sure. Wherever T'Challa goes, I go.

'No!' Queen mother shouts. 'You will not have the throne!' 'It is in his right. He is the son of N'Jobu, brother of T'Chaka.' One of the elders says. 'So.. do you accept my challenge?' N'Jadaka asks. 'T'Challa don't accept it!' I shout. He looks at me and nods reassuringly. He looks back at N'Jadaka. 'I accept.'

'The ceremony will be in three days. Prepare yourselves.' The same elder that spoke, says again. 'I don't need preparation. I will be your new king!' N'Jadaka says before he is taken away by the warriors.

I pace back and forth in my room. What if T'Challa loses? But I don't wanna leave Wakanda either. My train of thoughts are stopped by voices I faintly hear outside my door. 'Ramonda, she can not know! She will hate me.' My mother says. 'Ekene, if you don't tell her who her father really is and she founds out by someone else.. she will hate you forever.'

You must be kidding me. No. I am not hearing this correctly. I walk in the room my mother and queen mother are talking in. 'What are you talking about?' I ask with my teeth clenched. Queen mother quickly leaves the room. She knows by now that I should not try to be comforted when i'm mad. 'Yara..' 'No mother, don't sugar coat it. Just say it.'

'Will you just please sit down?' She asks me. I stare at her blankly. Tears fill her eyes.

'I once had a one night stand with M'Baku, leader of the Jabari tribe

'I once had a one night stand with M'Baku, leader of the Jabari tribe. I... I ended up pregnant with you Yara. But I never told M'Baku I was pregnant because he is the enemy of Wakanda. If I told him he would tell me to get rid of you. He always cared so much about his reputation. Your real name is N'Yarai Jabari. Only Ramonda knows.'

I scoff at the memory of her telling me my real father died in a car accident when he was on his way to the hospital to see his newborn babygirl. And she cried when she told me this ten years ago to make her story more believable too! I always thought it was my fault that my father died. And now to hear that he was in Wakanda the whole time. Un-be-lievable.

I shake my head in disappointment and leave the room. 'No! Yara come back i'm sorry! Yara!' My mother cries. My eyes fill with tears that are threatening to fall. But I hold them back and walk to Shuri's lab.

'Hey wassup Yara?' 'I want to go to the Jabari tribe.' I say showing no emotions. 'What? Why?' 'I want you and Okoye to come with me. I'll explain on our way.'

_______________________________________________
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment if you like.

Love E.🖤