The Shift

People change for two reason: either they learned a lot, or they've been hurt too much.

-Anonymous

Danny's POV

I'm lying in bed, peacefully asleep when someone starts jumping around me and shaking me.

"Wake up!  Wake up!"  I rolled over and groaned loudly.  I was exhausted.  It was ridiculous.  This was the first night since I had broken up with my ex-boyfriend, Matt, that he had left me alone.  I looked at my older sister, Toria.  Her long brunette hair was pulled up high in a pony tail.  It whipped back and forth as she shook me.

"What do you want, Victoria?"  I asked in a snappy tone.  I wanted to push you outside and go back to sleep.  I was too tired to deal with life.

"Do you know what today is?!!!!"  She was excited.  I wasn't going back to sleep.

"It's not today; it's tonight.  Go to your bed with Dylan.  Go back to sleep."  I say in a very annoyed voice.  Our nights were normally like this.  It was absolutely retarded.  I just wanted to be able to sleep peacefully for one night!  One night!  That was all I was asking for.

"Well, no, it's today, and of this minute you are officially seventeen years old!  This is so exciting, Danny!  You have to get up!"  Toria hugged me.  Is it really midnight?  Sure enough, I turned over and the clocked flipped from 11:59 to 12:00.  I know you're asking, "Who in the world is born at exactly 12:00?"  Well, weird people like I am are.  It's quite strange.  There are actually a lot of weird things that you'll come to know about me.

"I don't want to do this!  I want to sleep.  I can do this in the morning!  Just let me sleep, please!  Matt had me up all night long last night!"  I whined and threw a pillow on my bathroom floor.

"No you can't!  You have got to do this now!  You'll be shifting soon!  You stayed home all day from school all day.  You have got to go now!  You'll be shifting soon, and you can't be here when it happens!  It's gonna happen soon.  I'm gonna go get the boys.  Jasper has been waiting for this to happen for you.  Alex will be upstairs waiting too!  Go get your clothes on!"  Toria said running out of my room.  Well, it was pointless to go back to sleep now!  I might as well do what she wants!  I looked at the ground.  I don't wanna do this!  I grabbed my sports bra and yoga pants.  I slowly got dressed.  I put my hair into a pony tail.  All of a sudden, I met the soft carpet.  I looked at my older brother, Jones.

"Jones!  Seriously?"  I screamed as pushed him off of me.

"Happy birthday, baby sis!"  He said as he embraced me in a hug.  I almost fell again.  Luckily, Jones held me up off of the ground.

"Yeah, yeah.  Whatever.  Let's just go.  I want this to be over with already."  I complained and walked up the stairs.  Jasper was standing right there when I reached the top.  Jasper was my alpha, big brother, occasional asshole.

"Happy birthday, Danny."  He said looking down at me.  He was exhausted.  He probably slept in his old room upstairs.

"Thanks, Jaspy!"  Jasper seemed to hate that name sometimes.  Especially when other people called him that.  He let me get away with it though.  Damien and Dylan were waiting patiently in the living room.  All the lights were off, and the house was almost too dark to see at all.

"Happy birthday, girly!"  Dylan didn't hug me often.  We were close, but not that close.  I playfully punched his shoulder.  We gave a simple smile to each other.

"Happy birthday, Ever."  He said hugging me tightly.  He then kissed my forehead.  Ever was not a name that I used very often.  Only certain people called me that.  Damien was one of those certain people.

"Thanks, Damien."  I said after pulling away.  Then, I saw Alex.  She ran over to me with tears in her eyes.  I had always told people that after I turned seventeen, I would run away to find my mate and live a happy life.  When this actually came though, I don't think I was ready to leave.

"Happy birthday, Danny."  Alex let the tears pour once we were together.

"Alex, don't cry."  I whispered to her.  I couldn't leave her.  We were too close for me to leave now.  it would be a horrible thing for me to do to her.

"Danny, don't leave me.  I can't do this without you.  I can't make it without you."  Alex hugged me tighter.  I ran my fingers through her long brown, almost black hair.

"I'm not leaving, Alex.  Don't worry; I'm staying right here."  I told her quietly.  When Jasper moved to the pack house, it tore Alex up.  She turned to me after that.  We grew very close.  She changed so much. 

"Well, let's go, cry babies."  Jasper said.  I didn't even notice that I had started crying.  My hormones being off of the chain must have been a symptom of my shift.  I was never this dramatic.

"Okay, let's go."  I said.  I followed everyone out to the forest that surrounded my house.  There was a clearing about a mile out.  It would keep the neighbors from seeing anything that they didn't need to see.  We all stood out in the clearing.  Toria had gone over this a thousand times.  I knew what I had to do.  Toria nodded her head at me.  I looked at the ground.  I started peeling off my yoga pants.

"You could have warned us."  Jones yelled in distress.  Everybody turned around.  

"Shut up!  You totally flashed her when you turned around."  Jasper told Jones I pulled off the rest of my clothes.  I gave Alex my phone.  Then, there was a loud break.  I yelled out in pain.  I shrieked loudly as more snaps came along.  More cracks vibrated through my body.  Toria gasped loudly.  Everyone's eyes were huge.  I cocked my head to the side.

"Talk into your head to make it through the mind link."  Toria told me.  

What is going on?  I asked her.

"Um well, Alex, take a picture."  Jasper said loudly.  Alex jumped and did as she was told.  She trembled.  Did I look that scary?

What is going on?  You taught me to use this, and you won't talk to me?  I yelled louder into my head.

"You need to shift back.   We are going to talk."  Toria said.  Toria and Jones were the only ones being calm about this now.  I was starting to get worried.

So guys, I am re-writing because let's be honest.  This originally sucked!  What do you guys think about this?  Remember that there is a sequel after this book for you to read!  Thanks for everything.