Chapter 3: Can't Act on This

❤️Mac❤️

The night's mellow warmth wraps around me as Jazz's Christmas bash gets into full swing. I mentally nod in appreciation to the December evening; it's so mild that I can comfortably flaunt my sultry red dress without needing an extra layer. Jazz's backyard transformation looks like something straight out of a Christmas dream. Music from top-notch speakers fills the air with festive carols, and overhead, a kaleidoscope of lanterns paints stories of Christmas wonder. The rhythm of the evening is infectious. Everywhere I look, people are lost in their groove, their laughter and dance moves testifying to a night well spent.

On the surface, I'm the epitome of holiday cheer – laughing at the right jokes, sipping my drink, and sharing festive anecdotes. My face wears a practiced smile, blending seamlessly with the surrounding merriment. But beneath that veneer, there's a palpable sting of disappointment.

Unintentionally, my gaze shifts to Ryan. He's engrossed in conversation with a blonde wearing a short black skirt and a purple camisole, on the other side of the garden. I've spent the past half-hour trying and failing not to watch them flirt. I could tell myself I don't care, but that would be a lie. I do care, and I'm struggling to ignore the sharp twinge of irrational jealousy every time I see them together. To add to my frustration, our car ride to Jazz's was punctuated with awkward silences, which was highly unusual for us. And upon arriving at the party, Ryan promptly disappeared.

Perhaps his absence is a blessing in disguise. Being near him, especially when I'm working so hard to keep my attraction to him hidden, might not be ideal. I vividly recall the memory of how closely we stood in my kitchen... For a fleeting moment, I forgot all my self-imposed rules about leading men being off-limits. I nearly melted into him, silently pleading for a kiss. I can't let myself get lost in such moments. He's my friend, my co-star, and-

"Mac?"

I snap out of my thoughts, turning to see the man next to me — my date. He's who I should be focusing on. Jazz's choice, Doctor Dale Morgan, is traditionally handsome. He fills out his black shirt and leather jacket, indicating he definitely works out. He has striking blue eyes and dark blonde hair. Over the past two hours, I've discovered he's articulate, intelligent, and even better, he won over my friends quickly. It's hardly fair to him, and in no way a reflection on his suitability, that Ryan so effortlessly commands my attention.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, feeling a blush creep up my neck. "I missed that."

"Don't mind Maccas," Brad McDay chimes in, using the nickname he's given me. "She's always daydreaming about something. Happens on set too."

"I asked if you wanted another drink," Dale repeats, pointing to the empty glass in my hand. "You're running on empty."

"Thank you," I reply, offering him a grateful smile. "I'd love another one."

As Dale takes the glass and departs, Jazz leans in. "Isn't he perfect?"

"He's great, Jazz," I affirm.

"He is. His last girlfriend cheated on him with his cousin. He deserved so much better than that."

I nod, agreeing with Jazz. She set this up, believing we'd be a good match, and so far, I can't find any fault with Dale. I need to work harder at focusing on my date.

"Where's Moore?" Brad wonders aloud, addressing no one in particular.

"He's hitting on some girl named Kelly," Matthew Caffney points out. "They're over... there."

I manage to resist the urge to glance in Ryan's direction. Barely.

"Chloe," Jazz corrects Matt. "Her name is Chloe."