The Lost Boys. Chap 03: Extraordinary!

Chapter Three

Extraordinary!

The next day, I woke up very early, in a very good mood

          I was going to track Tristan down at the cemetery after lunch. I hoped he would be there, but since we hadn't agreed plans to meet, I didn't know for sure.  However, I had nothing else to do, so I thought I should give it a try. After all, the worst that could happen would be having a nice afternoon walk alone in the cemetery. I had enjoyed walking there yesterday– before I got lost – and the weather was still crisp and dry.  

          I wasn't fooling myself, though – mostly I wanted to see Tristan again.  I couldn't forget the sad look he had given me before I walked away from the cemetery yesterday. He'd looked so . . . lonely. What harm could it do to keep him company today? I had really enjoyed talking to him; he was clever, witty and charming, even if he was slightly odd in his manner.  The fact that he was drop-dead gorgeous didn't hurt, either.

          I passed the morning unpacking. After a quick lunch with my mom, I put on my best jeans, my favorite orange hoodie, my old Converse shoes, and re-styled my pony-tail really high. I didn't like wearing my hair down much. It was always in a pony-tail and my mom was always complaining about it. She wanted me to let it hang loose since I had "such beautiful hair".

          But I was always on the side of comfort instead of beauty. Comfortable clothes, comfortable hairdo, comfortable shoes. Make-up was always a challenge for me, too. I've tried a few times, but I thought I always ended up looking like a hooker. You need to have skills to apply make-up, and I most certainly didn't have any. So I decided to stick with just my favorite tangerine lip-gloss today. After all, it wasn't like I was trying to impress a guy I'd just met yesterday. A pony-tail and lip-gloss were more than fine. 

          I yelled to my mom to let her know I was going for a walk, grabbed a warm coat and left the house. 

          I got to the cemetery in less than ten minutes, much faster than the day before. I didn't have the gigantic vase of flowers to slow me down this time! I entered the front gates with light steps and walked around for a while. I didn't remember exactly where I'd met Tristan, since I had been lost at the time. I just remembered it was in the old part of the cemetery, somewhere at the centre.

          I walked for about twenty minutes without finding a living soul.  It was just me and the dead.   

          After a while I started to recognize a few of the more elaborate decayed tombs and a beheaded angel with one broken wing that I'd seen right before I'd found Tristan sitting on a tomb. That tomb right over there! Hey! I had found it! 

          I looked around for him, but there wasn't anyone in sight. What was I expecting? That he'd be here all day long waiting for me? Stupid, Joe.