Chapter 15

XV.

My mother told me that when one makes plans, he should make sure that everyone is on board.  That was why I never put in myself in the central position of coordinating.  Juggling people, places, and times has never been a strong suit.  I cannot deal with three things at once.  

A nervous sweat moistened the line of my brow as I picked my phone to call Dave.

"You are where!?" He shouted.  I pulled the phone away from her to recover from the impact of his words.

  "Chicago."

"Oh, good God, Divy.  Why couldn't you tell me before?"

He had a point, but my rage towards Logen and the nuisance of Robert and Christian had clouded my rationality.  Then again, my rationality had never been clear.  I stayed silent.

The heavy crackle of a sigh came from the phone.  "Alright, just tell me who's coming."

I thought into my memory, sorting the list of names in my head.  "Well, there's me, Christian, Robert, Logen, Maggie, Drew, my mother, my father, Cal-"

"Mairead?"

My hand balled up into a fist.  "Oh, hell no.  Not Mairead-"

"Okay, okay, calm down.  Jeez, Divy, I was just asking.  No need to blow up."

I quieted down.  My teeth clenched my bottom lip in frustration.

After an awkward moment of listening to each other's breaths, Dave spoke.  "Can I ask you how you came to the decision to come and help me?  I thought we were done."

"Long story."

"Divy, I don't know how people deal with you sometimes."

"Dave, they deal with me because they love me."

"I-"

"Oh, and Dave, I am the who decides when this thing is over, okay?"

I hung up without his response.

Anxiety clawed at my heart, spreading its poison,  It not even touched upon the a half hour when I started fretting about my recent conversation with Dave. 

My hands shook as placed my pearl earrings on.  I willed myself to say focus.  "It's nothing," I kept muttering, "It's going to be fine."

But, it was something.  I had jeopardized my whole relationship with Dave and by doing so, I had placed my plan on the line.

I went through a whole internal conversation, beating myself up and then making excuses.  I avoided my reflection in my mirror in fear that I would burst into tears if I saw it.  I tried to push my self loathing to the back of mind, focusing on the task.  Christian and Robert would knock on my door in a few movements, ready to take me to Navy Pier.  I had to find a way to look presentable.

A pattern of raps vibrated through the wood of my door.  They were here and I still hadn't put my mascara on yet. 

"I'll be right there." I called, trying to mask the apprehension in my voice.  I tripped over to the mirror and whipped out the mascara.  With light brushes against my lashes, I applied it with record speed. 

I dared not take a glimpse of my reflection, knowing that I could not look at myself in the eye.  A silent prayer went up to heaven imploring God to make myself look okay.

With heavy breathes, I pushed the door over to greet my two friends.  There faces morphed into concern as soon as my image seeped into their sights.