Chapter 13

Two mornings after my adventure at the ball park, I found myself in an airy mood.  I bounced through my morning hygienic rituals with a tune upon my breath.  Nothing could damper my mood, not even Maggie's horror at a new found cold sore nor Logen's refusal to move from room.  Things seemed as perfect as a mess could get.

I padded into the kitchen with a waltz in my step.  Maggie sat at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper.  Her hand went up to pinch at the red spot that lingered just above her upper lip.

"Don't pick at it," I lectured, gathering the materials for my morning coffee, "You'll only make it worse."

Maggie groaned as her hand fell away.  The tune I sang continued.

My happiness bloomed at the prospect of a new romance.  True, the potential relationship would be one built on a foundation made of sand, but shaky foundation could be fixed later.  It would just take time, sacrifice, and understanding, and, at that time, I was willing to give the effort I thought it took.

Dave and I shared something that night after the baseball game, something special.  Whether he felt it or not, I could not tell.  I could never tell what he thought behind those dark rimmed glasses.  But, that something was so strong, he had to have felt at least a quiver.

The half moon shone its pale glow done upon the parking lot.  The cars stayed in their respected places.  Their owners moved about in their apartments, with their lights flashing on and off and their T.Vs reporting the day's news.

Nature stayed still.  A breeze did not pass.  Crickets kept their song low.  And, that pesky barking dog, who lived across the street, stayed indoors.  Everything stayed in silent perfection.

Drew's impatient finger's tapped against the hood of his car.  The sounds rose above the quiet night.

Dave set his stare on a location right behind my left ear.  His tongue fumbled across his words.  "I, ah, guess, I'll see you tomorrow.  Bye."

Without a moment's hesitation, I kissed him.  I held my intentions as a pure mock kiss goodnight.  But, after the tension within Dave let go, that mock kiss became longer and deeper.

I cannot say that romantic revelation rained down.  Cupids, alters, and children did not dance through my visions.  An arrow did not pierce my hear right then and there.  My leg stayed planted and time did not stop in his tracks. 

However, the kiss was nice.  When Dave pulled away, I knew my lips would experience that again with no complaint.

"Goodbye," I whispered, following the tone of the stagnant night.

A lone car passed.  Dave adjusted his glasses.  "Yeah, bye.  See you tomorrow?" He pushed stray hairs off his forehead.

My teeth clenched my lower lip.  I rocked on my feet, from balls to heels, and back and forth.  "Sure, sounds good."

He left to Drew's car.  His hand turned up for a signal goodbye. 

"Love you!" I called out.  Those words caused a turbulent feeling to well up within my heart.  I could not tell if I liked that emotion or not.

A tentative complication seized his posture.  But, then a bright smile came upon Dave's face.  "Love you too!"  He shuffled into the car.

I sent Drew a wave of farewell.  A sharp crossness did not leave his face.  He brought his arm up for a wave, but the motion he put upon did not signal a friendly parting.  The motions had a brittle edge to them, as if to shoo me away.

I stayed put.  Drew closed his car door harder than usual.  He ignited the engine and the red flash of back lights shone as he backed out.

A fanciful notion to run after the car as it drove away came over me, and I chased the car for a few steps.  My two blonde pigtails bounced behind.  I stopped when my feet felt the dew of the night grass.  Bliss had not yet escaped me.