Chapter 6

VI.

A/N: More be added to this chapter, I just have to see how long this chapter and the next part is going to be to see if I want to make this into two chapters or one.:)

Patience is perhaps the most important virtue that society has ignored all together. Imagine if everyone carried a more patient bearing. Tempers wouldn't fly so much, happiness would present itself more often, and no one would set themselves into an irritable mood whenever they had to wait for something.

 Unfortunately, patience and I have never been good friends. If I have to wait ten minutes for a cup of coffee, the only way to ease my resentment is the constant drum of my fingers onto a hard surface.

 Needless to say, patience did not sit with me when I found the worse traffic jam I had ever seen one hot July day.

 "I thought you said that Cincinnati did not get much traffic," Dave said as she shifted a little in my passenger seat.

 "It doesn't," I hissed, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

 "Yeah, it's not congested at all."

 I folded in the bottom of my lip and tried to focus in on the lines of cars. Their shimmering backsides twisted together forming, to my mind, into a endless miserable wait. No mirages floated in the distant to add some misleading hope of relief.

 The time did not call for Dave's sarcastic humor as the hot July sun pounded through my car. I gave a hopeless glance towards the A/C, praying under my breath that it would start working once again. It had broken down the week before.

 On top of all that misery, I had this feeling that mother nature, in her sick and twisted humor, would give me, what all the commercials fondly called it, "her gift". My abdomen started cramping up and a few aches resonated in the top of my legs.

 "Earth to Divy," Dave said a few seconds after I did not carry on the burden of conversation.

 "Fine," I snapped, "I'll find out what's going on!"

 Maybe I overacted just a bit, but, due my hormonal levels, Dave was lucky I did not break down and start crying.

 I snatched up my phone.

 "What is going on?" I asked in message to Maggie. With a click of a button I sent it.

 In an instant, a response came. "Oh, hey! Nothing much is going on. Got a call from Logan. How about you? Have you found a David Ryan yet? Oh, what is this I see? Texting while driving? Tsk, tsk, naughty, naughy." A winking smilie face ended her message.

 "I'm in traffic, dummy," I responded, "I want to know what's causing it! Is there an accident or something?"

 I threw my phone down and gave a long sigh. To my right, Dave raised an eyebrow. He then rolled his eyes and proceeded to look out the window at the still cars. It was going to be a long day.

 But, just then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw an oddity that would pass for a few minutes of crude entertainment.

 A blue corvette had swung over the side, screeching its brakes as it stopped. The smell of burnt rubber accumulated through the air.

 A man, darkened from the sun, leap out of the car. His stingy blonde hair waved behind him in response to his sharp movements and his white muscle shirt rippled as he thrashed his arms in a violent manner. His sharp features and widow's peak only intensified his ferocity. In his hand he carried a crunched up, empty beer can.