Chapter 14

A/N: Not edited

The car was loaded up as we cruised down the highway, going twenty miles over the speed limit. The windows were sealed tight much to Christian's annoyance, however, Robert had insisted that the noise bothered him and so they remained shut.

I did not voice my opinion, but I was glad too. Christian had a tendency to roll his window so that the wind and the sounds of highway came rushing in, and then, on top of that, he would turn his radio up so that the music could be heard over the chaos. In the state I was in at that time, I would have hated to deal with that.

Robert sat in the back seat, gnawing at his red scarf. "Could you please slow down?" he asked, "You're going over the limit."

Christian looked at him through the rear view mirror. "I'm only going twenty over."

"That's not the point!" Robert grumbled, "There are reasons why the have those limits. It's best we follow them."

A smirk came upon Christian's face as he glanced at me. "Sounds like someone took their driving instructor to seriously."

"Christian, please," I chastised him, "could just slow down a bit?"

He shrugged and after a few moments the car slowed, but that could not satisfy Robert.

"Christian!" he groaned, "What are you doing?"

"I slowed down like you two asked."

"But, now you are going too slow." As if to punctuate Rob's words, a car horn sounded behind us. The driver swerved to the next lane to pass.

I sighed and shifted in my seat. "Just go the speed limit, okay?" I told Christian.

A dark frown morphed his lips. "Why do you always appease him?" Christian said, "He's not some china doll that's going to break. He should learn to have fun once and away."

"Christian, listen-"

"No, you listen, Divy. You should stop trying to protect others. If they get hurt, they get hurt. No big deal. That's life." Despite his outburst, Christian speed up to the limit and stayed.

I fell silent. A stiffness came over my feelings and my body. Christian would never know how his words impacted me and how much truth resonated. I couldn't fix things for other people. Sometimes I would have to things broken.

I pushed those thoughts aside before they settled into my heart and turned to Robert. "Don't get your pants in a tangle, mister. He's going the speed limit. I don't want to hear any complaints anymore, got it?"

No response came.  Robert sat frozen as a statue, his sharp nose poking out from behind his scarf.

At that moment, an anger towards Maggie started.  She was the one who got me into this mess.  She was the reason why I remained stuck in the car with Christian and Robert.

Well, technically, the blame laid on Logen.  She, in her complete imbecilic way, thought it would best if I were in Chicago to help support Dave with his art opening.  She insisted that it was the duty of a wife-to-be to help her significant other with future endeavours.  She was the one that had booked the hotels without my knowing and decided to spring the idea on me the last minute.

Not only was I going, but everyone too.  Drew, Christian, Robert, my parents, Logen, Maggie, everyone!  

"We're all like one big family," Logen had said, "it is time that Dave got use to that or he's no good."

I rubbed my eyes thinking about the money and the debt that would show up on my credit card.  When I brought my concerns up with Maggie, she said, "Don't worry.  We'll make ends meet."

"But why?"  That was all I could ask.

"Simple.  This is the first time Logen has shown interest in anything after her unfortunate break up.  You don't want to spoil that for her, do you?"  She placed a hand on my shoulder and stared deep into my eyes.

Yes, Maggie sent me on a guilt trip and I agreed and thus I started my journey with Christian and Robert.  Drew, Logen, and Maggie were due up behind us in a day's time.

What I did not understand was why Drew drove with them and I with the other two men.  Maggie had no comment.

My fingers began tapping on the dash.  Christian and Robert stared at their movement, annoyed at the constant rapping. 

I hated Maggie and Logen for a moment.  What right had they to live vicariously through me?  Just because they had no success in their romantic endeavors did not mean they could fiddle with mine.

"Divy," Christian said, "could you stop that?  Robert looks like he's about to blow up back there."

"Am not!" a voice shouted from behind, "You were the one to complain first!"

"Yeah, but you were thinking it."

"Okay, would you two just shut up?" I moaned, "You're giving me a headache."

Christian rolled his eyes.  "Divy," he said, "We haven't been talking for the past ten minutes.  You have just been sitting there with a sour look on your face."

I sent him a glare.  "I said shut up."

"Yes, ma'am," a tiny voice squeaked from the back.

Seven hours, two fast food stops, and six bathroom breaks later, we arrived to our hotel in Chicago.  Anger and annoyance pulsed through me as I went up to the front desk.  The conciege's amicable nature grated on my nerves.  To say the least, I was pissed.

He gave us the room keys and with polite gestures gave us directions.  Without a thanks, I stomped off with Robert and Christian trailing behind me.

"Let me help you this," or "Let me help with you that."  They kept saying. 

I brushed them off each time.  Until we found the rooms, that was where I spun around and shouted, "What makes you think I would want you after seven hours in the car together?"

The door slammed in their faces, leaving my two friends in an awkward silence.