Chapter 10

X.                                                                                      

I hated that woman who called herself Mairead Mulhenberg.  The moment I met her I knew we would be at odds with each other.  Every tiny move she made grated on my nerves.  She twirled her dark hair every time she giggled in that high pitched whiny noise.  Only superficial words came out of her painted red lips.  Everything about her was fake.  She had no substance.

She was not someone that I could picture Maggie hanging with.  But, there was my friend laughing and chirping nonsense with the intruder.

"Oh, Divy" Mairead said, flipping her long dark hair back, "you should have seen Maggie's face.  The moment she saw me accidentally taking her food.  Her eyes eyebrows went like this and then her face squished like this.  Here, Maggie you try it."  Maggie scrunched her features together.  Both women doubled over with laughter. 

"And you know the best part?" Mairead continued, "I didn't accidentally steal the food.  I had full intentions of doing it."  This time Mairead was the only one laughing.  A disgusted expression stumbled upon Maggie's features.  But, when Mairead once again looked at my friend, a smile came about.

Mairead let out a long sigh, probably replaying the incident in her mind.  "That lunch room, oh, crazy things happen there.  Isn't that right Maggie?"

I covered my yawn with a hand, attempting to be polite.  "What lunch room was this?"  I asked.

Mariead narrowed her eyes and had a worried look.  Behind her, the waters of the Ohio flowed.  Robert sat underneath a tree by the riverbank. 

"Why Proctor and Gamble's, of course," the intruder said, "Maggie and I work there."

The news hit me hard.  I looked straight at Maggie.  "You work there?"

She shrugged.  "Yeah, were did you expect the money came from to pay for the rent?."

At that moment, I did not feel that bad keeping secretes from Maggie.

Mairead laughed.  "You mean, you two are roommates and still, you do not know what each other does?"

I gave a curt cough.  "Excuse me for not guessing that my friend, who previously before stated that she did not want one because it would take away from her writing, has a full time job."

"Mairead," Maggie said, "a person cannot know everything about another.  A person much an individual too."

A doubtful look shone through Mairead's stare.  But, she shook her head and moved on to the next subject.

"Speaking of individuals," Mairead said, "isn't that one a bid odd."  She indicated towards Rob.  "I mean he isn't over here enjoying our lovely conversation." 

My body stiffened.  "Maybe Rob prefers to have some alone time, now and then, hm?"

I walked away from the two of them. 

"Did I say anything that offended her?" I heard Mairead ask.

"Don't worry about it," Maggie said, "She's Divy, she does this all the time."

"I can't stand her!" I complained as I took a spot near Robert.

Robert did not look up from his book.  "I could tell."

I arched my eyebrow.  "How did you-  You were reading this book the whole time!"

"You talked about her nonstop in the car ride.  You told me how much you hate her, despite never meeting her before."