Chapter 3

III.

Everyone knew me as the stickler for time.  If only they could see me that Monday in Chicago.

I was racing to make my next date.  I could not call a cab because of earlier circumstances that caused me to rush out of my hotel room without grabbing some money. 

I dug in a little deeper and quickened my pace.  My lungs burned, screaming at me to stop this torture.  My legs threatened to give out and my body yearned to collapse under the heat.  In my stubbornness, I still ran.  Running late would not become the norm.

Never again will I schedule three dates in one day.  Multiple dates make the day complicated and time hard to handle.  Since my encounter with David J. Ryan, two other David Ryans had responded to my call for help.  I met with both of them that day.

The one I met in the morning for coffee and some breakfast wore a wedding ring.  Being married to another person would put a strain on any relationship, even a pretend one.  The David Ryan I met for lunch, smoked, chewed tobacco, and had an obsession with NASCAR.  He quite clearly told me that racing came before women in his life.  Sure, he and my father would have car racing in common to talk about, but that was the only positive.

I would have been on time for my third date if I had not gotten an out of the blue phone call from an old friend.

"Hello?" I asked, picking up my cell phone.

"Divy!  Hey!" A chirpy voice said, "Do you remember me?  It's your western bud Logan!"

Logan had been a childhood friend.  Maggie, her, and I grew up together.  She moved to Colorado to '"find herself".

"Oh, hey Logan, what's up?  I haven't heard from you in a long time."  I checked the clock.  If I left no latter than a half and hour I would have arrived on time for my date.

"I know!  Right?  I've missed you so much!  I have so much to tell you."

We talked for forty-five minutes, believe me she would have talked longer if I did not cut her off.  She rambled on about my engagement which she heard about from Maggie, and about her engagement.

 "Isn't it exciting?" she said, "We'll both be named Logan Pike, because, well, his name is Logan too!"

She also chattered about playing matchmaker for Maggie. 

"How about Drew?" she offered.  I told her that would not work.  "Well, then, how about Rob?"

"How about we stay out of Maggie's business?"  I did not want to play matchmaker, especially if it involved poor Robert.

"Awww, Divy, c'mon.  It will be fun," she paused for moment and then giggled.  "Oh, I see you want to keep the boys to yourself!"

"What?"  A furious blush shaded my face.

"Oh Divy, don't play dumb.  We all know they took a fancy to you.  I mean Mr. Drew 'I'm-an-athlete-I-can't-risk-injury-with-strenuous-physical-activity practically moved all your stuff into Maggie's apartment.  Robert made you a pink paper crane.  He never gives pink cranes to anyone else!  Come to think of it, Christian brought you to see Winnie the Pooh.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to choose to sit through a kids movie on his own."

That was were I cut her off.  "Look, Logan, It was nice chatting with you, but, I have to go.  I'm kind of late for a date."

"Oh, with your finacé?