Chapter 11

XI.

There laid an expansive meadow.  A man stood at the end of it.  I ran towards him.  The feeling of happiness pulsed through my body.  I just had to make it to him.

"Divy!"

"Ah!"  My eyes shot open.  They moved to and fro, looking for anything that they could focus on.  When I realized what had happened, I groaned, turned over, and closed my eyes again.

Maggie started to shake me.  "Divy, wake up.  It's an emergency."

I swatted her away.

"Wake up.  Logen's coming.  We have to go get her."

At the mention of Logen, my head shot up.  "What?"

"Something bad has happened.  I'll explain on the way to the airport."

She rushed out of my room.  In slow movements, I rose.  I glanced down at the clock.  The time read four-thirty.  It was too early for an emergency.

Maggie already stood in the cool morning air by the time I stumbled out. 

My keys clanked together.  "Alright," I said, "in the car."

Maggie did not move.

I gave her a strange look.  "Are we not going?"

She shifted weight.  The darkness hid her face.  "I, uh," she tried to begin.

"Maggie!  You woke me up in the wee hours because of a Logen emergency.  Without even knowing what it is, I got up and got ready to pick her up at the airport.  Now, you are not going in my car so that we can actually get into to the airport, and then you hesitate to tell me why.  Is this some kind of practical joke or something?  Cause if it is, I am going back to bed."

"Wait, Divy!  It's not a practical joke it's just that," she paused and took a deep breath in, "Drew's picking us up!"  Her words came out in a rush of sounds. 

Disbelief stiffened my body.  "Are you stupid?" I shouted.

"Shhh, Divy.  People are sleeping."

I threw up my hands.  "I was sleeping and you didn't seem to care about that."

My friend pinched the bridge of her nose.  "I woke you up because I thought you would be concerned about Logen's well being."

"I am."

"Then why are you complaining?"

My breath came out in the form of an angry sigh.  "Because, Maggie, I'm tired, my whole body feels like it hit a brick wall, one of best friends is in peril, and you dragged an innocent victim into this mess with no apparent reason."

"Drew's a better driver than you," Maggie pointed out, "He will get us to the airport much faster and much safer."

"Yeah, but he also has broken arm."

A pause, Maggie collected her thoughts.  "I guess, he can drive with one hand."

A cold silence happened between us.  The wind rustled the trees.  The sounds of crickets sang, but my senses did not atone to those sounds.  The rage of my beating heart pounded.  My hands balled up in fists.  Anger collected with in my being. 

I looked to Maggie.  The darkness hid her shape.  I could not see her face.  I could not tell what she was thinking.  Shadows hide her emotions.