Chapter 3

Two Months Later

They’ve been in and out of the hospital for the past couple months. Cobbie has been going through a regular blood transfusion for his illness to be controlled. It was a hard two months for Faye. He never expected this will happen to her son. She almost gave up especially when she is seeing his child in so much pain.

Cobbie dropped out of school as advised by his doctor and now her priority is to make her son well. Fortunately money is not a concern for Faye she was able to take care of her son’s medical payments with no hiccups. Her late husband has a trust fund for Cobbie and as young as her child is his husband was able to invest for their son’s health insurance, plus the fact that her late husband’s company earnings are continuously providing them financially. Her own business earnings also helped her go through this difficult time.

Her parents are both in the US and as an only child; Faye was already used to being independent but this is a different circumstance, she doubts herself if she can surpass this. ‘Minsan gusto niya hilingin sa Diyos na siya na lang huwag na ang anak niya but what can she do, ito na ang ibinigay ng Diyos sa kanya.’ She can’t give up, her child needs her now.

Faye contemplated on the recent events of her now chaotic life; she was in the bathroom washing her face as she tried to dry her tears when the nurse who is taking care of Cobbie knocked on her bathroom door. She hurriedly went out and faced the nurse.

 “Yes Helen, may nangyari ba kay Cobbie?” Faye asked the nurse as she worriedly looked at her hired help.

“Don’t worry Ms. Faye ayaw lang po uminom ni Cobbie gusto daw po kayo.” Cobbie’s nurse told her. Faye gave her a sigh of relief and nodded her head.

“Okay, Helen. ‘Susunod na ako’.” She told the nurse and went back to the bathroom. She put on the silk robe that matches her night gown and tied the  robe’s belt tightly on her waist. She then went to the adjoining room, her son’s room and approached Cobbie who was obviously waiting for her. She sat at the side of the bed beside her son and combed his hair with the palm of her hands.

“Baby boy, you need to drink your medicines. ‘Sabi ni Ate Helen ayaw mo daw inomin and meds mo’.”

Her child looked at her, his pale and now slightly thin face never fails to pain her heart. She swallowed the bitter taste of pain in her throat and tried her best to give her son a smile.

“ ‘Namimiss ko ang friends ko sa school mommy, ayaw ko na maging sick. I want to go to school na mommy. Kailan ba ako magiging well?’ “ Cobbie asked her with a tearful voice and eyes.

Faye gave herself a short pep talk, encouraging herself to be stronger before she answered her beloved child.

“ ‘Baby, konti na lang promise gagaling ka na makakapasok ka na ulit sa school. Pero as for now baby, kailangan  you drink your medicines. Dali para gumaling ka na para magkasama na kayo ulit ng mga friends mo and para makapag play ulit kayo ni Ashley.’” Faye explained to her child as she tried to convince him to take his medicines.