Aurora

Aurora/Brier Rose: Age 8

"Rose!" Fauna called from the kitchen.

"Yes?" Brier Rose walked into the kitchen from her bedroom.

"Could you be a dear and fetch me some yeast from town?" Fauna asked sweetly. "With Flora busy in the garden and Meriwether who knows where, I decided to surprise them with freshly baked bread!"

Rose stifled a giggle. Fauna couldn't cook for her life, but she was polite and agreed. "Of course! I've always wanted to go to the village!" Before Fauna could change her mind, Rose grabbed a hooded cape and a basket and hurried out the door.

Flora came into the house. "Heavens! Where is that child off to in such a hurry?"

"I sent her off to get some yeast!" Fauna replied.

"Yeast?!" Flora's eyebrows raised. "I just bought some yesterday!"

Fauna avoided eye contact and said, "Well, I um, I used it to make some bread and after I put it in the oven, it came out black."

Flora face palmed and helped Fauna clean up.

Meanwhile, Rose ventured through the forest and into the village. She took a deep breath as she neared the sign welcoming her into town. Her interactions with people other than her aunties was rare. This was more of an adventure than an errand into town.

Rose took her time, peering into each shop window and every fruit basket in the market. She soon reached the bakery where there was a long line of people waiting for freshly baked bread. The smell was heavenly.

She waited patiently in line. A bunch of people in front of her were turned away and Rose began to wonder.

Rose stepped up to the counter. "I need yeast, please?"

The baker shook his head sadly, "I am sorry, miss, but the shipment for yeast is not yet come. The king has ordered only one shipment a week due to prices. It should be in by Thursday."

Rose nodded in disappointment. "Is there anyway that could be changed?"

"You'd have to speak with the king, miss, but he lets few visitors enter his castle."

Rose nodded, "Good day to you, sir."

"And good day to you," He answered as she left.

Rose pondered as she started to leave town. She couldn't go back empty handed. But the king was such a powerful man... But she would get to go into the castle... Yes! She would see the king!

Rose made the trek up to the castle where a guard stood in her way. "State your purpose."

"I come to see the king, a-about yeast." She said quietly.

"Hmm, very well. Open the gate!" He yelled to a man up above. The gate screeched open and she was guided to the throne room where King Stefan was sitting. Rose walked up to him shyly.

Once Rose was at his feet, she curtsied, despite her very un-royal attire.

"Your Majesty."

He slightly nodded to tell her she could speak.

"I-The village would like you to send for more yeast. The people don't have enough to eat." She said.

"Hmm, and they sent a little girl to ask?" King Stefan raised a brow.

"N-no, I c-come on my own behalf." Rose said, twiddling her fingers.

"Hmm, a very brave girl you are."

Rose waited for him to continue.

"The prices are high with the other kingdoms, but I will see what I can negotiate."

"Thank you, Sire!" Rose curtsied again.

"And for your troubles, here," he motioned for a maid to come with a bag of yeast. "is some yeast for you."

"Oh, thank you! Your Grace." Rose placed the bag in her basket, curtsied once more, and left.

"That girl..." King Stefan said to his guard beside him, "she looks familiar. Have I seen her before?"

The guard answered, "No, Sire. She's just a silly peasant girl."