12 Omen

Dedicated to 0Lover0of0Books0 for readingg :)

A/N: Short chapter. Sorry guys :( I've been busy, as summer hasn't even started yet for me. Sucks, right?

፠CHAPTER TWELVE፠

Getting proper sleep was definitely impossible when I got back. I watched the sun slowly rise from my bedroom window and a million things rushed to my head, but I pushed them all aside and focused on the one thought that would make my day. Today was the day that this hideous ‘house-arrest’ device on my wrist would be taken away. Finally. Only a week had gone by, yet it felt like forever. Man, I felt like such a delinquent. Who knew that the quiet new girl would end up in deep trouble?

After taking a long and thoughtful shower, I got ready and found Kaiti in my room already. I hadn’t even noticed her coming in.

“Well, that had to be the longest shower ever! I’ve been waiting here, bored to tears.” She greeted.

I hesitated for a moment, thinking of a response. But realised I didn’t need to when Kaiti cut me off. “Well I-”

“And you never told me you had this.” She interrupted, admiring something in her hands.

She held it up to the sunlight streaming from my dorm window. “It’s beautiful!”

The blue gleam made me take a step back. I’d forgotten about that necklace. Who knew what trap or trick it held from Senious? Anything from him must have been dangerous.

“Kaiti put it ba-” I started, only to be cut off again.

“You should wear it! I’ve honestly never seen you with it before.” She hustled toward me and strapped the necklace around my neck before I could respond.

“N-no, really I’m fine.” I searched for the latch behind my neck.

She pulled my hands down and held them in hers. “Stop being so stubborn. It looks great on you.”

She turned me towards the dresser mirror and I eyed the pendant that rested on my chest. It did look great, too great. A knock on the door startled us both. We turned towards the door as Chayn strolled in, hands in pocket.

“Since when did you knock?” I commented with a raised eyebrow.

“Would you like me to barge in next time, then?” he countered nastily, but I paid no attention as something else caught my eye.

“Mrs. Beccam.” Kaiti exhaled and her body became tense.

Mrs. Beccam stood beside Chayn and nodded. “Good morning, girls. Ms. Garmound, please follow me. I’m sure you know the reason as to why I’m here.”

I looked over to Kaiti from the corner of my eye and nodded. “Sorry, Kaiti.”

“It’s no problem, really.” She nudged my arm and walked out the room, stiffly.

After several seconds of awkward silence, Mrs. Beccam led the way out as Chayn and I followed behind.

Once in her office, she got right down to business and snapped the metal bracelet straight off my wrist with a special key. A wave of relief swept over me, though I knew it wasn’t quite over yet, and Mrs. Beccam made it her responsibility to assure me of it again.

“Now, you do know that you are still under surveillance for the next three weeks, right Ms. Garmound?” she stated.

I nodded glumly.

“And how was it? Not that fun now, huh?” she rested her chin on the back of her hand.

I shook my head silently.

“What about you, Mr. Chayn? Was she a handful?”

A dark atmosphere surrounded him once again as he leaned against the wall, reminding me of the first time we met. He must really hate this office, or Mrs. Beccam at that. He remained silent, making the head mistress sigh in exasperation.

“Well, I hope you know it isn’t over. You are now allowed to wander around town, as well as other Campus’s, but I will assure you that any other place is off limits and that includes Harroway Woods. You can be severely punished, Nyala, and no, house arrest is not even the start of it.”

Was that a threat? It sure seemed so. I rubbed my wrist where the band left a pale mark. It felt so naked without the band now, but I was glad.

After some futile small talk, she dismissed us and we left in silence. On our way out of the door, Chayn did a double-take and pulled me back. What was the matter with him?

“What…” he trailed off and stared at my chest.

I pulled away and covered my chest, insecurely. “What are you doing? You pervert!”

With a grunt he rolled his eyes, and stomped away, but not before taking another glance. Was there a reason for his strange actions these past days? I wanted to know.

--¤፥ º̊‡° ˚̈̇᎐፤•∙ⶑ†--

Kaiti was overjoyed when I stepped foot in her dorm without any metal object attached to my wrist.

“Let’s go to the town right away! Nothing better to do on a Saturday after all.” With a tug on my arm, I was dragged out of her room and off Campus.

We spent the rest of the day hanging out in town, and not once did Chayn pay a visit. I suppose I should’ve expected it, though. Seeing as it isn’t his job anymore, unless I were to go someplace out of bounds.

“You miss him, huh?” Kaiti had a menacing, and teasing tone to her voice.

“Who?” I asked, though I knew exactly who she was referring to.

She smacked me playfully on my upper arm. “Don’t play the fool. Chayn hasn’t been around much lately, right?”

I shrugged. “It isn’t much of my concern anyway.”

I looked away to avoid her gaze, but my chest had this odd feeling to it, something I couldn’t quite figure out.

“How about we pay him a visit?!” she squealed.

“Of course not! Now why would we want to walk straight into the lion’s den, Kaiti?!” It was a sudden outburst that I didn’t even expect. Several people around looked in our direction and I muttered a quick ‘sorry’ to her.

“Well that was unexpected. What are you so riled up over?” she was worried.

I’ve gone and done it. I’ve worried her once again, how grand. What was I supposed to tell her? For some reason I felt it best if she didn’t find out about Senious.

“Riled up? I’m not riled up.” I laughed nervously and cleared my throat. “I’m going back now.”

I carefully stood up and waved goodbye. Sorry, Kaiti.

Back at the library, I found my way into the small, private room. When I entered, however, I ended bumping into that small short guy from before.

“Alerion?” I said.

“Oh, uh, yes. Nyala.” He took a step back and bumped into the table behind him, causing the lamp to fall forward.

“Are you alright?” I asked, and picked up the lamp.

“Yes, I was just on my way out, thanks.”

“Wait up.” I told him, because the book in his hand caught my eye.

“You’re not allowed to borrow any of the books in here.” I reached for it but he pulled it away from me.

“It-it’s alright, I g-got permission.” He stuttered.

“Is that so?” I eyed him sceptically and my glance fell onto the book in his hand. “What book is that?”

“A book for research.” He answered quickly and ran out the door.

I tried to run to the door first, but failed and watched him jog away. Something suspicious was going on and I hoped to God that the bad feeling in the pit of my stomach wasn’t a sign of that.