Chapter 21

"What is this?" I asked, staring eyes wide at the present in my hands.

"Chakra blades," Yamada-sensei answered wryly. "I thought you knew."

"Of course I know they're chakra blades." I tilted my head at the weapons. "I mean, why are you giving them to me?"

I tested the weight of the blades in my hands. The chakra blades were a little bit worn out with time, but its edges still looked as sharp as ever. The brass knuckles of the blades looked too big for my fingers, but I'll give it a few years before my hands will be able to fit the blades.

"Can't a lovely teacher give his student a present?"

"A lovely teacher would." I raised an eyebrow. "But pretty sure you aren't one."

Yamada-sensei smacked the back of my head. "Be grateful, brat."

I tumbled a few steps forward from the force, but managed to twitch my lips upwards. "Thanks, Yamada-sensei." I said sincerely, "but why give now? My chakra control isn't that good yet."

"No, it isn't." He agreed. "But I thought that since chakra blades require your chakra to be fused with them, which might help with the control sessions. Especially with your motivation to use these weapons, chakra control sessions might be even easier."

I couldn't stop the happiness that was bubbling inside me. Finally I was going to get a weapon of my choice.

"Those were mine when I was in my teens, but I realized that I would rather use tanto as my choice of weapon. So, I stopped using them. Since you constantly nagged me about them, I thought why not give them to you."

"Very thoughtful." I nodded sagely and cut his monologue short. "Can we start now?"

Muttering 'ungrateful child', Yamada-sensei grabbed the weapons from my hands. "Watch how I handle it."

He slipped his fingers into the brass knuckles. Slowly and consistently, blue chakra surrounded the blades.

"You have to gather your chakra to your hands and channel them to your weapon. But that's not all. You need to keep channeling it to maintain the chakra so that it doesn't die off. This requires great concentration, especially during a fight. Which is why practice makes you remember how to channel chakra by muscle memory so your mind can be on the fight, rather than how to channel your chakra."

The blue aura vanished from the blades and Yamada handed them back to me.

"Your turn."

I slid my fingers into the brass knuckles and channeled my chakra to my hands, watching as nothing happened. "Just focus and channel it? That's it, right?"

"If you're talking, you're not focusing enough."

I nodded and turned my full attention back to the blades. Focus. Focus. I channeled my energy into the black nothingness. Focus. Fo-

I didn't know how long I was in deep concentration. Perhaps it was mere seconds, perhaps many hours.

"-ka, you're doing it." Yamada-sensei's voice gradually appeared from my right. My eyes snapped open to look at the blades to catch a glimpse of my blue chakra around them. But it was gone as quickly as it came.

Yamada nodded approvingly. "You did it, even if it was for a split second. I can tell you have been practicing on your chakra control. I give it a few months before you will be able to wield your chakra blades properly."

Pride welled in my chest. And somehow, Yamada sensed it immediately.

"Don't get ahead of yourself." He said, and I instantly hated the sadistic glint in his eyes. He whipped out something from his back pouch and I recognized it right away. A Type B weapon scroll, can score up to 200 kunai and shuriken.