Chapter 7

Days flew by, and it was only a few days before October 10.

Shisui still wasn't back, so I met Shikamaru most of the days on the tea shop's roof.

"Naka," Shikamaru started. I took notice that he wasn't exactly one for honorifics. "My dad is curious about this mysterious friend I'm meeting on the roof. He asked if you would like to come to our compound."

I paused our cloud watching session, and tilted my head to stare at him.

"Meet him at the compound? You're telling me your dad is not in the tea shop right now?"

"Well, no. My aunt owns this place, and sometimes my dad drops me off here so he can talk with his friends or so that I can play with my cousins."

"But you're not playing with your cousins," I said, choosing my words carefully.

"No, I'm not." Shikamaru replied curtly. I decided to drop the subject when he didn't elaborate. "So are you coming?"

"I... I guess," I answered hesitantly. To be honest, meeting the Nara clan head was intimidating, especially since Shikaku was an expert at reading people. That, and I was an orphan making friends with the clan head's son. I wouldn't know what parents would think about that.

But I would probably meet him sooner or later.

"Good. Let's go," Shikamaru said, standing up.

"Wait, what? Now?" I asked, incredulous look on my face. "Doesn't your dad need to come pick you up or something?

"Mom's out shopping. He only does that when mom keeps an eye on him like a hawk. He generally doesn't care. Besides, our compound is really close." He replied with a shrug.

Shikaku must have an awful lot of confidence in Konoha's security.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shikamaru. Do I need to remind you that you are too young?" Shikaku stared pointedly at the two of us across the dining table.

Shikamaru groaned. "Dad, seriously?"

Shikaku shrugged, before turning to look at me and giving me a barely visible smile. "What's your name?"

"Naka," I replied.

If Shikaku had noticed the lack of surname, he didn't say anything about it.

"So you're the friend Shikamaru has been meeting?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I in an interrogation?

"Yes, Nara-san."

"What do you guys usually do?"

"Talk. Cloud watch. Sleep."

"Sounds fun." He deadpanned.

"Yeah."

A silence stretched across the kitchen. Shikamaru shifted in his seat.

"If that's all, dad, I'm going to show Naka my shogi set."

Shikaku dismissively waved his hand.

Shikamaru and I jumped out of our chairs, and he guided me around the maze of his house to his room.

It was my first time seeing a traditional Japanese house with sliding doors. I had to admit, it was an impressive house.

The young Shikamaru took a shogi set from his shelf.

"Do you want to play shogi?"

"...No."

"Oh... okay." Shikamaru dejectedly put his shogi set back in place.

"Do you have chess instead?" I asked. I always played chess back in my previous life, and was a lot more familiar with chess than shogi.

Shikamaru brightened. "Yeah!" He exclaimed, before grumbling, "I'm better at shogi though."

He brought out a chess set from his shelf, setting it down on the small table in his room. He sat on the floor across from me and we silently arranged the pieces to its position.

"You have the white pieces, you start." I gestured to Shikamaru.

He advanced his pawn with a classic opening move from E2 to E4, and I returned the favor.

Tick. Tock.

I drummed my fingers on the table.

Tick. Tock.

My eyes glazed over. Soon, the bed beside me disappeared from my vision. The shelf disappeared. The trees outside disappeared. The birds chirping outside disappeared

Shikamaru disappeared.

All that was left was the chess board in front of me.

Tick. Tock.

He moved his piece.

Tick. Tock.

I moved my piece.

Time flew by quickly, but both of us were unaware.

Tick.

He moved his.

Tock.

I moved mine. My queen eating his bishop, trapping in King in the fortress.

"Checkmate." I muttered.

I raised my head, my senses now back. I could hear the leaves rustling outside, the birds singing. I could see the furniture and Shikamaru. A very confused Shikamaru.

Shikamaru frowned, looking at the chessboard.

"You won!" He exclaimed loudly.

"You are supposed to shake her hand at the end of the game." Shikamaru and I turned to the doorway to see Shikaku leaning on it, his arms crossed across his chest.

Shikamaru shoved his hand into my face.

"You won! I don't mean it in a bad way, but nobody wins me! Except dad, 'cause he's the best."

I grabbed his hand, shaking it slowly.

"I guess I did win."

Shikaku gave his son a pointed stare. "What did I tell you about that attitude?"

Shikamaru looked down. "Sorry..."

"Do you want to analyze the game?" I offered.

"Yeah!"

So we spent the next hour analyzing the game, where we went wrong, what we could've done better. I suggested to Shikamaru to make better use of his castle. I trapped his king in his very own fortress, so changing his formation might be a good idea. Shikamaru suggested that I protect my king better, since it was too vulnerable with no queen to protect it.

Even though I won him, it was a very close game. I was the champion of my district's chess competition back then, but the three years old Shikamaru was better than many of my competitors.

It was only a matter of time before he beats me if I don't keep practicing and learning.

I was helping Shikamaru put back the pieces when I realized something. My eyes widened.

"Shika, what time is it?"

He turned his head to look at the clock hanging in his bedroom.

"3 p.m. Why?"

Time really did fly when we were playing the game. Naruto must be awake already! I quickly stood up.

"Sorry, but I have to go."

"Already?"

"Yeah, but I'll see you tomorrow."

I rushed outside the room, giving Shikaku a quick bow.

"Thank you for having me here."

I rushed across the house to the exit, not missing what Shikaku had said.

"You are always welcomed here."