XXXIII. Envy

____________________  

Envy is a littleness of soul, which cannot see beyond a certain point, and if it does not occupy the whole space, feels itself excluded.

- William Hazlitt

  ____________________  

Labis na ikinagulat ni Hellene ang pagyakap sa kanya ni Corvette. It wasn't like the usual brotherly hugs he used to smother her with.

His embrace was cold and constricting. Like the coldness of his very being was seeping through her bones.

"Release me Corvette" utos ni Hellene ngunit mas lalong humigpit ang yakap nito sa kanya.

"Do you want me to leave Kria alone?" he whispered at natigilan si Hellene "Be her replacement" anito na ikinalaki ng mga mata niya sabay lingon sa ngayon ay nakangising si Corvette. Rage seethed through Hellene akmang itutulak niya ito upang sampalin ngunit...

A strong force yanked her away from Corvette, kasunod nun ay ang pagtulak ng kung sino sa kanya causing her to fall to the ground.

"YOU TRAITOR!!!" luhaang sigaw ni Kria sa kanya. Nagugulumihan siyang napatingin sa dalawa at hindi nakatakas sa paningin niya ang munting ngiti na sumilay sa mga labi ni Corvette bago nito pinigilan si Kria

Nangining sa galit ang buong kalamnan ni Hellene, but she composed herself as she stood up.

Brain do your thing she commanded herself. With her head held up high she shot them both a cold look, her gray eyes turning lighter by the second.

"So Helaena-like" Corvette mused. Without a word lumapit siya kay Corvette at buong lakas na sinampal.

"That's for becoming a monster that I can never pull away from the darkness anymore" malamig na saad niya, saka niya hinarap si Kria at binigyan din ng malakas na sampal sa mukha.

"And that's for being an idiot whose brain is consumed by that monster. I'm done here" aniya as she walked away from them without turning back. Her eyes filled with tears.

***

Tinanaw ni Corvette ang papalayong si Hellene with a heavy heart. It may be the last time for him to see her again, and the pain was almost driving him insane.

He needed to chase her away from him for what was coming. Gusto niyang habulin ito upang magpaalam ng maayos, upang magpaliwanang ngunit alam din niya sa kanyang sarili na Hellene, as stubborn as she was won't go away by just talking. And for the life of him, he would never forgive himself if anything bad befalls her.