Chapter 25: Questions

Chapter Twenty-Five - Questions 

Greenwich Palace
Early November 1541

I am still in danger, but at least some of my prayers have been answered.

Henry finally wants to see me today, he wants to talk, and this could be a chance for me to work some magic on him. Looking at my reflection in my mirror, I scrutinise my appearance: my skin is even more pale than before, but now it seems unhealthy, not beautiful, no doubt drained of its life from the strain that I have been under.

Out of the corner of my eye, a small movement draws my attention to the door. A letter sits on the ground, surrounded, illuminated even, by the stream of light slipping under the doorframe, as it is some sort of divine object. I rush to pick it up, cautious yet curious as to its contents. Is is from my uncle Thomas Howard? From Henry? With the possibility of some help to this situation, I tear open the letter and skim read the few lines that sit there.

Dear Catherine, my love,
I cannot write much, I need not explain why. I have been questioned a little, but not so much that I am worried for my safety at the moment. I will keep our secret. I hope for your sake that these rumours are false.
Love,
T

I stare at the letter in despair. My heart is full knowing that Culpepper is still thinking about me, yet I am thoroughly disappointed with this letter at the same time. He does not propose to help me, or speak to the King. In fact, it seems that he cares more for his own safety than mine. I scrunch it up and throw it into the fireplace, not even looking back at it as I leave the room.

"Did you get that letter, Catherine?" Jane scurries over to me anxiously.
"Yes, but it was useless. How did you get it?" I question; I get more frustrated with Jane every day.
"Culpepper risked coming here to give me it, but I don't think he was seen."
"You don't think?" I pinpoint. "I hope that you are sure of it, Jane."
"I am. The King will be here soon."
"I know." I sit down and wearily rub my face and neck.
"Archbishop Cranmer will be with him." She adds.
"Oh joy."
"Are you okay, Catherine? I mean, obviously not, but...you look exhausted."
"I am exhausted."
"Perhaps, we could ask the King to come back later?"
"No!" I raise my voice in annoyance. "Are you completely foolish? This is our last chance!"
"Oh, don't say that..." Jane begins to pace the room, clearly nervous.
"But it is the truth."

Suddenly the doors open and Henry appears, followed closely by Cranmer. I gasp, my nerves making me such a wreck that I jump at everything. What a silly sight we must look to Henry: his wife leaping up and her lady-in-waiting pacing the room like a madwoman.

"Catherine." Henry addresses me seriously, with no hint of affection. I open my mouth to speak, but no words come.
"The Queen must speak to you urgently, Sir, for she is innocent!" Jane blurts out.
"Lady Rochford," I hiss, "do not speak so out of term."
"I am not interested." Henry states gruffly. "We are not here to listen to any of your protests."
"The reason that we are here," begins Cranmer, "is to further discuss this investigation, after we have recently carried out some further action."

The two men to at the table and indicate for me to sit opposite them; Jane waits in the corner.

"We have spoken to Francis Dereham." Says Henry, his eyes avoiding mine.
"I see."
"His story was...certainly an interesting one." Cranmer states.
"Interesting how?" I question.
"Dereham described that he was very close to you, back when you were living with the Dowager Duchess. Like you, he denied any carnal relations, but we did not fully believe him."
"But why?" I ask. "Surely this is evidence enough, his story matches with mine - it is the truth!"
"Perhaps. But perhaps not. We will be bringing him in for further questioning soon."

My heart drops to my stomach. Everyone knows what happens to those that require further questioning.

"Please, you must believe that it is the truth."
"I wish that I could, Catherine." Henry speaks after being silent for the past few minutes. "But I have suspicions and I must investigate them fully, my reputation as a King is on the line."
"I do not know what else I can do." My voice is barely a whisper.
"Wait." States Cranmer bluntly. "We should not need to investigate much more." He clears his throat. "There is one other thing that we want to talk about."
"There is?"
"Yes, but not with you." Cranmer looks over at Jane. "Lady Rochford, would you answer some questions for me please."
Jane sits down, trying to stop her hands from shaking. "Yes...I...what sort of questions?"
"I was simply wondering what your involvement was in this...affair."
Jane stays silent; wide eyed, mouth shut.
"Lady Rochford?" Cranmer prompts.
"I...I didn't know the Queen before she came to court..."
"Forgive me, I have been unclear," says Cranmer, "I am now addressing the possibility of the affair with the courtier Thomas Culpepper."
"Culpepper?" I question. "You said you were investigating Dereham."
"You seem concerned, Catherine - for him." Henry grunts.
"No, no it's just...it is difficult to keep up."
"Yes, this is such a mess." Adds Henry with a hint of spite.
"Please, Lady Rochford, answer my question."
"There is no affair...to my knowledge." Jane's voice is unsteady.
"I do not believe that that is your honest opinion. Have you been orchestrating any meetings between Culpepper and the Queen?"
"No."
"Is that the truth? They are having an affair?" Pushes Cranmer.
"Yes, and no! No, they are not!"
"Yes or no?"
"You asked two questions -" Jane begins to sob a little.
"Lady Rochford there is no need to be upset."
"I...I cannot help it..."
I decide to intervene. "Can you not see that my lady is very shaken by recent events, now, please, you have asked your complicated questions, and if there is nothing else then perhaps it is about time you left."
"If you wish." Cranmer rises from his chair.
"We will get to the bottom of this, Catherine." Henry calls back as he walks out of my chambers.

Jane breaks down in tears at the table.
"Oh Jane stop!" I shout. "Stop crying! How is that going to help?"
"I...I don't want to...to..."
"Why are you crying so much? It is me that is under investigation!"
"B...but...they are questioning me too!"
"Just stop! Have some dignity and at least give me a chance of getting out of this alive."

I storm over to the window, trying to take my mind off recent events.
But it is no use.
Every day they discover more about me. This mess is only getting deeper and deeper.