Chapter 17: Like Stars

Chapter Seventeen - Like Stars

Greenwich Palace
October 1540

I awake in a haze of warmth. Last night's fire still flickers at the foot of my bed, providing a dull heat across the room. It is the first week of October, and the weather is turning autumnal: leaves transforming into orange, the grass getting darker. For me, every season brings its own joys, and autumn in particular provides a cozy richness to the days and nights.

A slight ache in my abdomen brings me out of my daydreaming and reminds me that the first week of the month should be my time. But it is not. I sit up sharply in my bed, bolt upright in the sudden shock. This time a month ago I expressed my deepening concern over my situation, but now...now perhaps I must think differently.

I have been so incredibly busy in the past weeks with processions and feasts and last minute tournaments before the winter that I have all simply lost track of the time. I am young and healthy, there is no reason why my timing should be different this month than for any other...it can only mean one thing...

In a rush of great excitement, I spring out of bed and quickly get dressed. I must tell the King. Jane Rochford knocks and then enters my bedroom, a surprised expression sitting on her face.
"C...Catherine! You are awake? Why are you rushing so?"
"Oh Jane!" I cry in happiness. "I have every reason to rush!"
"Whatever do you mean?" She asks calmly.
"Jane! I...." I have to stop to catch my breath, "I believe that I am with child! I have not had any bleeding and I should have had it by now!"
"With child?" Her green eyes widen as she sits down.
"I believe so! Of course...I can not be certain, as such, but I believe it truly!" I sit next to her.
"Well, in that case, you must be more careful!" She scolds. "All of this rushing around could harm the child. Take your time, be cautious."
"Yes, yes you're right." I admit. "I shall try to be steady - but it is so difficult! I am so desperate to tell the King!"
"Do you think that it a good idea to tell him so soon?" Asks Jane carefully.
"Yes! Oh...but please could you not tell anyone else yet. I want the King to hear it from me, not from gossip."
"My lips are sealed, Catherine." Jane smiles.
"Are you excited for me, Jane?" I ask.
"Yes, of course. I am very happy for this...it is just..."
"What?" I demand quickly.
"The King is not a young man, perhaps you should wait until you really are certain before...telling him."
"I cannot wait until I am showing! That is too long away, and the entire court would know before I had even announced it!"
"I understand. Well, if you are sure."
"Oh, I am." I assure her.

This is going to change everything. Nobody will doubt my status or ever question me as the Queen when I give the King a son.

Henry is in a meeting, of course. I am impatient to tell him my great news, but, as usual, he is surrounded by councillors sorting out the problems of the Kingdom. I cannot just stand outside the door, I look so common and out of place - Queens should not have to wait at all. I cross the stone corridor and through one of the arches out into the garden courtyard. For a few minutes, I sit beneath one of the reddening trees and just watch as the world goes by. It is one of those lovely moments where the chaos of the world seems to stop, everything in slow motion, a time to think.

The sound of booming laughter brings me out of my thoughts, followed by several smaller laughs - almost certainly faked. The councillors scatter off to do whatever they do all day, surrounded by their papers and ladened down with their tasks, leaving the King. Henry catches sight of me and smiles one of his best smiles - wide and instinctive, a genuine happiness. Suddenly remembering my purpose, I walk quickly to him as he holds open his arms.
"Hello my dear." He greets.
"Henry! My love I have some wonderful news! I must tell you -"
"Catherine," he laughs, "slow down, I can barely understand what you are saying to me."
"I said, I have some news." I pant, adrenaline rushing through me with all of this excitement.
"I see. Continue." He smiles.
"Henry, I believe that I am with child." I whisper.
The entire world stops for Henry as he comprehends what has just been said. I see everything in his blue eyes: realisation, joy, shock, immense happiness, relief. He takes my face gently in his warm hands.
"Catherine...Catherine...I do not know what to say..."
"Say you are pleased!" I giggle.
"I am...amazed....this is the best news that you can bring me...is it a boy?"
"Well...how will I know?" I question.
"Ah, you are young, you will know over time."
"We shall name him Henry...if he is a boy!"
"A wonderful name!" He guffaws. "And I shall hold a feast in honour of this announcement; I shall begin making the arrangements tonight."
"It is all so very exciting."
"And I the most excited of them all. Although...I cannot ask you to visit my bedchambers anymore..."
"I know...but you will see me every day still!"
"Indeed." He runs his thumb softly over my cheek. "I must go now, we shall have dinner together tonight." He begins to walk away before turning back to look at me.
"And Catherine, well done."

***

I stand in front of the mirror and check my appearance before my dinner with Henry. They say that a woman glows when she is with child - am I glowing? After the excitement of earlier, I am now having doubts. Perhaps Jane was right, perhaps I should have waited. But no, I am young and healthy and there is absolutely no reason why I should not be with child.

"All ready for this evening?" Asks Jane.
"I think so. Do I look okay?"
"Beautiful as ever, Catherine, beautiful as ever."
"Thank you." I smile.
"Was the King pleased...?" She smiles knowingly.
"Oh yes! I have never seen him so happy. His eyes...they shone like stars with joy."
"As will everyone else's one day."
"Indeed. Right, I believe that I am about finished."
"Lovely, I will leave you to it - enjoy." Jane chirps as she leaves the room.

I smile to myself, reminded of my happiness. However, amongst all of this joy, a sharp stab of emotion suddenly fills me with dread. A feeling that I know all to well resurfaces once again. A small pain in my abdomen, a strange sensation. Carefully, slowly and filled with anticipation, I check my base-layer white dress.

My heart drops to my stomach as soon as I see a spot of blood.

I am not with child.

A/N:
Hi readers, I hope that you enjoyed this chapter and that you will continue to read my book.

Question: what would you have done in Catherine's position?

As ever, feel free to comment and vote to promote To Catch A King more.
Thanks,
Issy ❤️