Chapter 5: The Game

Chapter Five - The Game

Greenwich Palace
January 1540

I am surprised at how quickly the guilt has subsided. It has been almost an hour since the message was delivered that shocked us both. Queen Anne left soon after, inwardly upset but still smiling at me. It should not be a surprise to her really: almost every King takes a mistress at some point, or at the very least wavers his attentions towards another woman for a short while.

I dress in one of my most beautiful gowns: dark sapphire muslin with gold stitching. I choose amber jewels to wear on my head, fingers and neck to compliment it. I do not wear a hood, I am hiding nothing from the King now.

Making my way to the King's apartments, I push aside the feelings of nervousness and uncertainty, replacing them instead with a ones of control and quiet confidence, all part of my façade. I will act the opposite to how my cousin Anne Boleyn did when she seduced the King. Where Anne was overly confident and ambitious, I will appear shy and gracious. Where Anne began to act like the Queen of England before Henry had even begun his Reformation, I will act humble and subtle in my expectations to become his wife. That way I shall avoid meeting the same fate.

Producing a small knock on the door, I wait patiently for an answer. Muffled voices from within proceed the door being opened and me being shown through without any questions asked.

King Henry sits at a small, round table, opposite an empty chair, with a pack of cards open. He smiles and his glittering eyes look over my dress and body. That's a good sign.
"Lady Catherine." He nods at my curtesy and gestures to the empty seat.
"Your Majesty. Is there a particular reason that you wanted to see me?" I smile shyly.
"Well, I was under the illusion, from the impression you gave me last night, that seeing me again was something you wanted to do."
"Well of course, you are the King!" I giggle, trying to sound as if I expect nothing.
"Is that all?" He smiles. "I would gladly have spent more time with you last night."
"I'm flattered, your Majesty. But I hold no hard feelings against you for not, you had to see Queen Anne." He almost flinches as I say her name. The thought of his wedding night, no doubt filled with awkwardness, floods his mind. Perhaps he feels guilty for not loving her as he should, perhaps not.
"The Queen, she has not...said anything?" He inquires.
"Oh no!" I assure him, quickly trying to return the topic of our conversation to something more fitting to me. "She said nothing."
"I know that you are one of her closest ladies. She would tell you anything, I assume?"
"I'm not sure, your Majesty. I couldn't say. I only know what she tells me - I cannot possibly know what she doesn't tell me."
"Of course." He nods. "Anyhow, let us leave the Queen in our minds and discuss other matters."
"What other matters?" I ask innocently.
"Us."
"Us...?" I begin twirling a lock of my hair around my finger.
"Us being here, talking. I have the intention of seeing you more often."
"For what purpose?" I go straight in with the big question.
"Well -" Henry begins but is interrupted by a knock at the door.

A nervous looking Cromwell enters the room.
"Your Majesty." He bows low. "I'm sorry to disturb, but we have another problem abroad, with France and the Holy Roman Empire."
"Can it not wait?" Sighs Henry, gesturing towards me.
"I'm afraid not." Replies Cromwell, subdued. He looks pale, no doubt ridden with the fear that only increases when one begins to fall from the King's favour.

This is annoying for all of us. Henry does not want to leave his leisure to go and sort out foreign affairs; I'm certain that Cromwell would rather not have to deal with Henry's anger through fear of being struck around the head by him again; and I would certainly rather stay and catch the King. However, the King has his duties, and there can be no avoiding them.

I leave his chambers and walk back to Queen Anne's apartments. As I enter the room I see Anne sitting by the fire beside Lady Jane Rochford, the rest of the ladies sat at the table. There is a strange atmosphere in the room, a feeling of coldness, we all can feel it. They must know that I have been to see the King, I am sure that the entire court must know by now. Nothing stays private around here.

My initial reaction is to want to explain everything to Anne, and to the other ladies who cast secret, disapproving looks at me, to tell them that nothing happened, and that none of this is my choice. I catch Anne's eye, and desperately try to tell her in my expression that I do not want to hurt her. She looks away. I sit at the table and pretend to read. No, I cannot tell them anything, this entire affair is a secret. As much as I hate to hurt Anne, I cannot assure her that I will not see the King again, for I most certainly will. Besides, she seems not to mind so much given that she has already replaced me with Jane Rochford. I cannot say this angers me, for if I were the Queen I too would likely have Jane as a friend. Everyone at court can feel sympathy for her, after her shambolic and awful marriage to my cousin George Boleyn, for whom I have never felt much affection, she has been truly scarred. If anyone can understand the turbulence and trouble of marriage, it is Jane Rochford.

The week continues in this strange fashion, with this awkward, heavy atmosphere and secret glances and whispers. I am trying not to let it bother me too much. Yes, I dislike hurting the Queen when she is trying to save an already dying marriage, but I can push those feelings down into nothing if I have to.

The gossip about me I find harder to ignore, but I must remember that, in due course, I will be the King's favourite, and I will be untouchable.