Chapter 12: The Messenger

Chapter Twelve - The Messenger

Greenwich Palace
July 1540

As of yet, there has been no official announcement, and it is impossible for me not to become worried.

For days now, Henry has been in and out of meetings with various councillors, officials and advisors, but I am kept in the dark as to what exactly is going on. My uncle Thomas has not written to me since the meeting last week, nor have I seen him around. It seems almost that I have been forgotten about.

But if there is any good news, it is that Cromwell is quickly falling from favour. Not good news for him of course, and part of me still feels sorry for anyone who falls from favour despite all their hard work, but in my current position I must accept that it will help. With Cromwell out of power, a space is provided for a Howard to become the King's advisor or minister; and as for me, I believe that Cromwell and myself have never seen eye-to-eye, it is for the best if his opinion is kept out of this affair.

I cannot see what is taking so long, why these ministers and councillors cannot keep to their decision and declare that the marriage will go ahead. It is an agonising wait for me.

***

I stand before my mirror and scrutinise my appearance. My hair falls in dark curls down almost to my waist, shimmering in the light. In the warm atmosphere of my room, my skin looks healthy and clear, bringing out the colour in my plump lips. My dress is yet another gift from King Henry: a full length, golden gown with ambers sewn into the cloth, glistening like stars in the sky and showcasing my status as if the colour gold itself wasn't a statement enough. Surely I am beautiful enough to be a Queen.

A small knock at the door brings me back to the present. I call for the knocker to enter, but continue to arrange my hair and dress in the mirror. They come in quietly, without a word, and shut the door almost silently behind them. My eyes flicker up to get a glance of my visitor, and I almost do a double take when I see who stands lost at my door. Jane Rochford.

In the dull sunlight atmosphere, Jane waits silently for me to beckon her. She almost seems to be attempting to conceal herself in the shadows, to hide from me.

"Lady Rochford." I stand and smile pleasantly. "I am pleased to see you."
Jane knows as well as I do that there is a coldness in our seemingly friendly relationship. She snuck in and took my place as the Queen's confident, and now has come back to serve me.
"Lady Catherine, I wanted to express my feelings to you in person, so that I may put them across with all the honesty that they deserve."
I gesture for us both to sit. Jane looks a little uncomfortable, but begins speaking with confidence.
"Catherine, you must believe me when I say that I am pleased for you. I know you may think differently for reasons I need not explain, but I am here to pledge my loyal support to you."
"Support for what? Being the King's favourite?"
"No - well yes, of course - I meant support for your rising status."
"I see. So...you do not hate me?" I question.
"I do not hate you, Catherine, not at all. You must remember that I have been at this court for the duration of three Queens of England, I understand how the King..." she looks around quickly to make sure that the door is shut, "how the King changes his mind and...well...I am sure he will not change his mind with you...but..."
"But you understand the dynamics of court?"
"I understand that us women do not have much choice is anything, we must do as we are told."
I think about this whole plan, how I had no choice in it, leaving me with no choice but to agree with her in my mind.
"But of course, that will not apply to you for much longer!"
"No?"
"Why of course not! Queens do not have to take orders, except from the King, and he will not ask you to do anything unreasonable."
"Why do you say Queen?" I ask, a sudden panic that she can see right through me.
"Oh...but...you have not heard? I assumed that..."
"That I had heard what?"
"That...that the councillors all agreed finally this morning...it's official now Catherine...you are going to be the next Queen of England."

AN
Hi readers, I am aware that the last few chapters haven't been the most thrilling, but all of this is setting the scene. If you know Catherine Howard's story then you'll know that it gets a whole lot more exciting from here on! If not, then trust me...
Thanks for reading,
Issy ❤️