Chapter 8: A Divine Image

Chapter Eight - A Divine Image

Greenwich Palace
April 1540

The Queen sits alone by the fire tonight. Us ladies pretend the best we can to busy ourselves around the quarters, but even a blind beggar could see that Anne would prefer to be left alone and in silence. I do my duty, play my part in all of this, rearranging objects on the mantelpiece and making everything look spotless.

If there is one thing that I have learnt so far during my time here, it is that this Tudor court excels in making everything and everyone look perfect. This golden, Renaissance façade that it is forever putting on is almost impressive, but, upon closer inspection, I can tell that a lot of the people here are beginning to lose sight of what is real and what is fake.

I shall meet with the King again tonight. There is no use in trying to deny it, everyone within the walls of the court knows that we meet regularly. I will admit that the rumours have almost ceased to exist - or at least around me - and I know that I can thank the King for that.

It appears that he is in good spirits at the current time. His exhausted servant Cromwell has just been created Earl of Essex and Lord Chamberlain this April, a lifeline for him. This puts me in good stead for the ambitions I have still.

Preparing to leave the Queen's chambers, I curtesy quickly and then walk out without so much as a glance backwards. By now I have mastered this art. I feel no longer the remorse of upsetting my Queen, I feel no more guilt; what I feel stronger than ever is the desire to fulfil my purpose at this court.

My full length gown is a rich scarlet and decorated with sequins of glistening rubies; the same gemstone can be seen intertwined into my curls of hair: subtle at a distance but striking in the light. Red is the colour of bravery, of boldness, of romance, seduction, art and power. Compared to the Queen, who is often seen in plain dresses of silver or dull blue, I stand out like a prize rose.

My progression at court can also be seen by the way in which I freely carry myself. I do not need to sneak stealthily around corridors in the dark, or keep my eyes downcast in modesty. No, now I am a young woman of real prestige, I am one of the King's favourites and I shall conduct myself in this very way. Men and women nod their heads at me, wish me a good day, for now they are so very aware that I hold the power to control them if I convince the King.

As I glide towards Henry's apartments, I pass in front of a large, stain-glass window. A panel of fantastic fragments of coloured glass and gemstones, projecting refracted shards of light onto the stone wall opposite. My silhouette is appears, at this angle, right in the centre of his beautiful set and, if I were still superstitious and idolatry, I would say it was an almost divine image. A sure sign that one day I will be the Queen of England.

I spend the evening in the company of King Henry, and let him indulge us both with wine, games and stories. He guffaws like I have never heard when I tell him silly tales about the mischievous things I got up to as a little girl. He replies wth his own stories about his youth, and we spend the evening discussing what a fine Renaissance King he is before he asks to kiss me again. I let him, of course, for that is my most powerful weapon.

Night falls quickly, and that beautiful amber sky soon becomes black. Henry's lips have not left my neck, as he plasters small kisses on my skin.

I bask in the knowledge that these kisses, and the night ahead, will see me soon become one of the most powerful women in this kingdom.

Please vote and leave feedback if you want to, it would be nice to get my story promoted a bit more.
Thanks for reading,
Issy ❤️