Chapter 22: Rumours

Chapter Twenty-Two - Rumours

Greenwich Palace
April 1541

3 months later

I am awoken suddenly from my sleep by the bang of the door opening with considerable force.

Disgruntled, I try and sit up to see who it is. I was dreaming about Culpepper: we were living by the coast together, nobody was bothering us and it was perfect. Once I manage to open my sleepy eyes, I see Jane Rochford shutting the door quickly.

"Jane?" I mumble, my voice raspy from sleep.
"Catherine, I'm sorry!" Jane runs over to my bedside, flustered.
"Sorry?" I question. "You have nothing to be sorry about."
"I promised I would protect you..." Tears form in her eyes. I sit up completely in worry and the daunting possibility of what she implies.
"What do you mean?" I ask sharply.
"I...I'm so sorry..."
"Sorry why?" I am becoming irritated.
"You must have seen him at a different time to when I arranged, for I always kept watch when I knew you were with him!"
"Jane! Tell me what is going on!" I demand angrily.
"Oh...no..." She composes herself. "There are rumours going around court, serious rumours, that you are having an affair with Thomas Culpepper. But these have also sparked rumours about you having previous relations with two other men"
"What?" I cry in shock.
"And...the rumours have reached the King..."
"No!" I begin to panic. "This can't be happening."
"I'm sorry..." Jane tears up again.
"Oh stop saying that!" I snap. "Okay, let's think: the King has not had me arrested, meaning he has no cause yet to see any credibility in what he has heard, yes?"
"I suppose so." Replies Jane.
"That means that I can try and convince him that the rumours are wrong."
"You could." Nods Jane.
"Then that is what I must do, it is my - our - only hope."
"You're right..." Jane looks dazed and terrified.
"Fetch me that crimson dress that the King bought for me last Christmas. I only wear it on special occasions because I know the effect it has on him. I will stand a better chance convincing him in something beautiful."

I allow Jane to do my hair, twisting two strands round either side and fastening them at the back, allowing the rest of my hair to fall freely in waves beneath it. I select specific pieces of jewellery that I know the King is proud of having given me, I must try everything that I can. It is in desperate times like this that I must be an intelligent woman, not the silly girl that the world sees me as.

I make my way to one of the halls that I know Henry has just had a Privy Council meeting in. I do not rush, I do not panic, and I keep my head held high. Whispers and snippets of conversation flow past my head as the crowds part for me, but I try and ignore them.

Henry stands with his back to the room, looking out of the large window over the palace gardens; I shut the door so that we are alone. He turns to look at me: his face is expressionless.

"Your Majesty." I walk quickly to him and rest my hand on his arm. "I was shocked and horrified to receive news of some terrible rumours that are circulating the court this morning."
"Yes, I have indeed heard them." He states in a gruff, monotone voice.
"Please do not tell me that you believe them though." I plead.
"Do not believe them?" He turns to me. "You are asking me whether I believe that the rumour that you knew two - not one! - men before me is true?"
I remain silent.
"Two, Catherine! Not even one!"
"It isn't true." I state calmly.
"Except that these two men did have your acquaintance once, and many people have sworn that they knew you more than that!" Henry struggles to keep his calm.
"It is true that I knew the two men in the rumours, but not in the way that these rumours suggest, not carnally."
"Apparently you were planning on marrying one of them." He replies.
"Again, not true."
"And I am to believe you, am I?" Questions Henry.
"Henry, did I not bleed on our wedding night?" I demand. It is my secret alone that I made a small cut on my foot whilst Henry was asleep on our wedding night, and let it bleed on the covers a little so that I could claim to be a virgin.
"Yes, yes you did." Sighs Henry.
"Is that not evidence enough that I am yours alone?"
"I do not know." He snaps, frustrated. "But that's not all, is it? There is a rumour about you and Culpepper as well, my servant!" He spits.
"My love, these rumours are fake." I remain calm and composed. "People love to gossip, especially about queens, and they will say anything to stir trouble. Who have these rumours even come from? How is it that their word is being believed over mine?"
"Catherine, I understand what you are saying, but I am struggling to believe it all. These accusations are very serious -"
"But they are not true!" I interrupt in frustration.
"And lots of other people say they are!" He counters. Henry runs his hand over his tired face. "I love you, Catherine, and I really want to believe you. But, as a King whose reputation is on the line, I absolutely must investigate these rumours, if only to put my own mind at rest."
"Think what this will do to me though." Tears fill my eyes.
"I will try and stop people from gossiping in the mean time, until we have reached a conclusion."
"So...I am to just...wait?"
"Yes, and hope to God that I don't find anything unsatisfactory in my investigation." With that, he storms out of the room.

I am left standing alone with only my greatest fears for company. The worst has happened, somebody has seen Culpepper and myself somewhere.

Who?

And when?

We were careful to avoid being seen! I can barely make myself think about what could happen because of this, it is too awful. My family would be ruined, never to be trusted ever again, my reputation would be eternally destroyed, and as for my life...that would no doubt be ended. After all, Henry VIII has no problem with dispatching of his wives when they displease him. Perhaps I will follow in my cousin Anne Boleyn's ghostly footsteps...

But no, I will not give up so easily. I will fight for this. Day by day I shall convince Henry that these rumours are false, I will seduce him, love him, whatever it takes to get through it. The King loves and adores me, I do not believe that he will ignore my pleads of innocence. Culpepper will never admit to our affair, he is as loyal to me as can be. And as for my past, as for Francis Dereham, who is mentioned more than Mannox in these rumours, well that I can not control.

All I can pray for is that nobody discovers the truth, or finds either of the men, for although my past should now be completely irrelevant and it is futile to dwell on it...it would kill me if it was ever revealed.