Chapter 7: In Me You Can Trust

Chapter Seven - In Me You Can Trust

Greenwich Palace
March 1540

Yet again another month of gossip, rumours and secrecy pass at the Greenwich Palace court, but this time I am finally starting to see some progress.

King Henry and Anne's marriage is still unsuccessful. To the outside world, or that of the court, Anne has failed so far to conceive a son for her husband; but on the inside, to private ears including myself, it is almost certain that the marriage has never been consummated. Even Cromwell and Cranmer's new Protestant Reformation cannot worm its way out of this one; it is simple: the marriage cannot be seen as legitimate if it was not consummated. All the better for me.

I make my way to Henry's private quarters. Over the past month, we have grown closer and more trustful. As of yet, there is no intimacy, but I am playing my cards well and biding my time. I will strike just as he reaches the point where he cannot bear Anne any longer.

He is sitting by the fireside in a jacket of fine, golden embroidery. I kneel down in front of him, kiss his hand and then sit opposite.
"Catherine, is something troubling you, my dear?" King Henry seems genuinely concerned for my wellbeing.
"No your Majesty...well..." I see my chance.
"Yes? Go on."
"I am feeling forever more hated at court, indeed, I believe that I have never felt so unloved in my life so far." I pretend to wipe my eye.
"Why ever do you believe that, Catherine?" Henry questions, clearly intrigued.
"I...these people...I am the centre of every gossip, every rumour, every horrible little lie, I truly cannot take it!"
"I am unaware of these rumours of which you speak. What do people say?"
I look down at my hand, my fingers playing with the soft, silky fabric of my lavender dress. "They say that I am a...a...scheming little whore, that I desire nothing more than to be the centre of attention."
"I see. You wish for my to dispel these nasty rumours? It is easily done, and then they will not dare speak against you."

My heart beat increases at that: the King of England is offering to dispel rumours across his entire court just to please me. This is my true chance - but  I must remain calm, subtle, humble.

"Oh no, your Majesty, I could not ask such a thing of you. The rumours should disappear soon enough, and if they do not...I shall cope."
"No, no that will not do!" Henry stands up in annoyance. "I will not have my subjects spreading nasty lies like that about such a sweet, innocent girl who has done nothing to deserve them! I will get rid of all of this for good, believe it Catherine, in me you can trust."
I look up sheepishly. "You think me sweet, your Majesty?"
He kneels before me and takes my small delicate hands in his own warm paws.
"I do, very much so." A few minutes of silence pass as Henry sits quietly, but clearly pondering something. The silence breaks when he finally decides to have out what is on his mind.
"I would like to kiss you, if I may?"

My pulse excels at an alarming rate; the King wants to kiss me. Finally, after months of waiting, of eluding, of quiet careful seduction, I have finally begun to catch him. At first such slow, insignificant progress but now everything is happening at once, so fast I can barely comprehend it. This heavy burden I carry, as the last hope of redemption for my once powerful name, will soon be lifted.

In this moment, as the King's plump lips make soft contact with my flesh, I am carried away from all my worries. No longer do I consider what the Queen is doing, or how she will feel, for now I have a clear pathway to power. This is my time.

But that small flicker of pessimism pokes at me yet again - this is changing who you are, and not for the better. Do not forget the promise you made to yourself, Catherine.