Mate of Honor Ch. 14

We're getting closer to finding out the truth. Anyone have any guesses as to what their secret might be? Read and then comment your guess, and vote of course if you're liking MOH ;) (oh and I think yall will like the song, any PLL fans should recognize it)

“Roxie we’re going to go shoe shopping next, the library is next door if you want to go there,” Rosie said coming up to her sister as she trailed behind Rosie, Josie, and Miranda.

            Roxie gave her twin a thanking smile and broke off of the group. If there was one thing Rosie excelled at it was shopping, a skill Roxie completely lacked and despised. Waving to the group she walked up the steps to the old city library admiring the architecture on her way through the doors. Browsing the aisles running her fingers over the varying spines of leather, paper, and hard back novels she smiled breathing in the smell of wood and books.

            “Need any help Miss Jinx?” The librarian, a young woman with blonde hair piled in a bun on top of her head, heels propped lazily up on the counter, a newspaper in her hands.

            “No thank you,” Roxie replied turning away and quickly turning back. “I’m sorry, how do you know me?”

            The librarian looked at Roxie over her glasses with an ‘are you kidding me’ expression. “You’re the beta’s mate. All the wolves in town know who you and your sister are. I’m the delta, Jennet Palmer, call me Jenny.”

            Roxie nodded in understanding, “Nice to meet you, Jenny, the delta’s mate, I don’t think I’ve even met the delta.”

            Jenny frowned for a moment before smiling in understanding, “You just did. I’m the delta, I don’t have a mate.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t think-,” Roxie stopped and shrugged blushing lightly.

            “It’s okay, most packs don’t have lone women as alphas or betas or omegas. They usually find their mates.”

            Roxie saw an opportunity to get some questions asked and moved towards the desk. “If you don’t mind my asking…?”

            Jenny looked away for a moment before responding, “I rejected mine. It’s not normal for one of us to reject our mate; it’s even rarer for a female to reject hers. It’s mostly men these days, afraid of commitment or just wanting to keep sleeping with other girls, another new practice that humans influenced onto us, no offense.”

            “So why did you reject yours?”

            “I’m a delta; few packs have that rank still. Delta is above the omega, making me the true third in command above the omega, though I let the Biggs take third in command since I’d really rather not have the power at all. The problem with that is that my mate is an omega, and he wanted power, so when he got me as his mate he was ready to take delta position and be a leader in the pack. The Beta is completely necessary to the Alpha, so they can’t branch off unless there’s a strong delta to take the beta’s place. Since the beta is related to the alpha in this pack, it would be the delta to take charge of a new pack should Orchid Moon ever have to separate due to territory limits.”

            “So your mate was ready to be delta in case he could ever become a… partial alpha?”

            Jenny nodded, “But I didn’t want power at all, and for some reason I had a feeling he wasn’t my mate.”

            “But how can you think he’s your mate if he’s not?” Jenny shrugged, just as lost as Roxie though at least Roxie was getting more information about werewolves. “So how do you reject your mate?”