Mate of Honor Ch. 5

Shorter than the last few but I hope you enjoy it anyways. Sorry for the long wait. oh and if you like super heroes check out my hero story Mr. Hero Meet Miss Villain. It's coming to its end in the next few weeks :)

            “Are you happy now?” Rosie whisper yelled pacing back and forth across her sister’s room. “I can’t believe you did that!”

            Roxie rolled her eyes, crossing her arms she sat back against the many pillows on her bed. “He touched me.”

            Rosie stopped, gazing in disbelief at her sister’s relaxed form. To the untrained eye Roxie was completely relaxed and calm. Of course, Rosie’s eyes were well trained to looking past the calm exterior to the anxious drum of one finger and the complete eye contact that refused to let her pacing form escape. Roxie never let someone leave her gaze, keeping eye contact as much as possible, whenever she felt threatened, scared, anxious, or worried. It was both a way to give a threat right back, show a fake confidence, or wear down her opponent till they caved. Rosie sighed shifting back and forth watching Roxie’s eye follow every movement. The question was which feeling or feelings had been triggered.

             “He touched your arm, barely.”

            “He enjoyed it too much,” Roxie muttered remembering the spark she’d seen in Hunter’s eyes and the feel of equal sparks running up her arm.

The sparks flying across her skin was what had pushed her to push him away and thrown the nearest thing at his sparking eyes. The nearest thing had just happened to be a large container of apples. What she most definitely hadn’t suspected was the way he’d brushed off the hits of her well placed aim as if she threw mere marshmallows. That had fueled her anger, the fact she couldn’t hurt him. A smidge of guilt ran through her at the fact she’d wanted to hurt him. Either to drive him away or to get early pay back for whenever he would hurt her, didn’t really matter much to Roxie.

Rosie was oblivious to the thoughts running through Roxie’s head. She was silently wondering if, unlike her own experience, Roxie had not felt the sparks and the immediate want to love her mate and want to be with him. Then again, maybe she did. Roxie was well rehearsed in the art of closing off her heart to pain.

“Of course he did, he’s your mate. He’s supposed to enjoy every little touch. Didn’t you feel the sparks Roxie,” Rosie jumped onto the bed landing on her knees shaking her sister’s leg with both hands. “Didn’t your knees get weak?”

Roxie resisted the urge to turn her head and stared Rosie down. “No, I didn’t.”

Guilt washed over Roxie at lying as Rosie’s face washed of color. Rosie sat back on the bed just staring at Roxie looking for a sign of a lie. “You are lying.”

“Why do you think that?” Roxie replied calmly.

“Because…” Rosie was scrambling for a reason for Roxie to lie that she was brave enough to speak out loud. There was one forbidden subject between the twins, and that was the past, what Roxie had done for them and what it had done to her and her heart. “Because you let the past close you off and now you are lying to yourself and everyone else that you can feel the bond and-and…” Rosie trailed off as Roxie’s gaze hardened into something darker and more threatening, a look Rosie hadn’t seen in years, and never directed at her.

“Don’t you dare,” Roxie hissed cut off when a knock came from the door. “Come in.”

Both twins sat up straight as Miranda came in smiling at the two most likely having heard at least part of the conversation. “Is this a bad time? The pack is arriving and dinner is ready.”