Chapter 14- The Truth

The skin underneath the flames running down my arms looks like it glows gold. I stare deep into my face where I have huge red lips with all my best features highlighted. My eyes stand out in the sea of red. My hair looks like it could set anything on fire, the red of my dress making it look fiery. My dress... Oh my God, my dress!

It was a ballerina-type strapless dress which was smooth at the top and poofed into flames at the bottom. The bottom was a thin see through substance that sparkled and ended right above my ankles. Everything had sparkles on it. So when a moved an inch, I was a goddess engulfed in flames. My hair spilled over my shoulder in a mess of ringlets.

I just stared at myself in the tall mirror. I glanced over at Katniss who was also captivated with herself. She looked more beautiful than me. She's covered with multicolored jewels and her shoes make her a good inch taller than me. I'm glad Cinna put jewels on her and not me. Her hair is also put up unlike mine.

"Oh, Cinna," she whispers. "Thank you."

"Yes! Thank you do much Cinna!" I give him my best open mouthed smile.

"Katniss, twirl for me." is all he says. She spins, making her a fire tornado. The prep team loses it. They ooh, ahh, and scream for her.

"Dot, twirl for me." he says when she's done. I stick my arms up and twirl like the ballerina in dressed as. The bottom of my dress poofs up in flames. It gently moves up and down as keep spinning. The prep teams screams as they had for Katniss. I smile as I come to a dizzy stop.

Cinna dismissed the prep team and has Katniss and I walk around. We seem to be better at walking in these dresses and shoes. I dance and twirl around, watching my dress set me on fire.

"So, all ready for the interviews then?" Cinna asks. I stop, almost falling. In my fun I had forgotten that we still have to do the interviews. I sigh and grumble, "No".

"I'm awful. Haymitch called me a dead slug. No matter what we tried, I couldn't do it. I just can't be one of those people he wants me to be," Katniss complains.

"He told me to be myself but I have no idea who I am..." I trail off.

Cinna looks at us, thinking. "Only you know who yourself is. Be who you want to be."

"Myself? That's no good, either. Haymitch says I'm sullen and hostile," Katniss says while I thin about what Cinna said.

"Well, you are... around Haymitch," Cinna says with a grin. I snicker. "I don't find you so. The prep team adores you. You even won over the Gamemakers. And as for the citizens of the Capitol, well, they can't stop talking about you. No one can help but admire your spirit."

Cinna takes her hand. "Suppose, when you answer the questions, you think you're addressing a friend back home. Who would your best friend be?"

"Gale," she says. "Only it doesn't make sense, Cinna. I would never be telling Gale those things about me. He already knows them."

"What about me? Could you think of me as a friend?" Cinna asks.

"I think so, but-"

"I'll be sitting on the main platform with the other stylists. You'll be able to look right at me. When you're asked a question, find me, and answer it as honestly as possible," Cinna says.

"Even if what I think is horrible?"

"Especially if what you think is horrible. You'll try it?" Cinna asks.

She nods and Cinna comes over to grasp my hand. "I'm guessing your best friend is Jay?" It was more of a statement then question but I nodded.

"So try to talk to Jay and ignore the people around you." I must be worse than I thought if he can see my stage fright. "Besides I know something that will make you feel better."