Chapter 21- Death, Love, and Sadness

I jolt up to a ringing. I look around and the ground is shaking. I can't hear anything but the ringing though. I don't know where Katniss is. She could be dead for all I know. My presence could have changed multiple things like where she was standing, if she would have glanced after me when she shot the arrow. Anything could have changed where she was hurt worse or possibly blown to bits. 

Smoke is everywhere I look as I cough and debris rains down on me like rain. I know I need to get moving but I'm stuck here, coughing and trying to hear something. Anything. I try to get up, try to move, but the earth seems to keep knocking me down. I will survive. I will not die. This is what I chant to myself as I crawl through the forest. I have to survive for.... 

Omigod! Omigod! That thought has me up on my feet, running, even though I have no idea where I'm going. I'm still dizzy but I claw at the trees to keep upright. I have to get back in time. To save Rue. That is my mission now. To make sure her, the twins, and Zaavia are okay. They have to be. I don't look for Katniss because I know she can take care of herself. The others need me more than her. 

Another blast knocks me down and my knee hurts but I don't look down, just run. Soon, I'm panting and I realize someone could jump out at me at any time. So I take out my sword and stop. I sit down on a fallen tree and take deep breaths. I still have time. I try to remember when Rue's death happened. Wasn't it like a day or so before Katniss gets back? I don't know, but I can't take any chances. Things have changed. I don't know how long I sit there, but my eyes start to droop. The running has tired me out. I try to fight it as I take a few more steps and my feet can't hold me up. I sigh as I shakily climb up a tree and get ready for bed. 

And I'm instantly dragged into the horrible world of unconciousness.

*********************************************************

"Katniss! Help!" I jump up and fall out of the tree. My head hurts and I rub it where a rock hit it. "Help!" I hear shrieking again and instantly identify it as Rue. 

"Rue!" I scream, starting to run before I even get up. "Rue! Where are you?! Please! Answer me! Are you okay?!" I'm running around in circles because every time she screams it's in a different place. It's almost like she's running... Has my being here affected more than I thought? 

But I'm still running after her as her screams run in a different direction. I tear through trees, determined to save her. But when I get to the place where her screams stop.... She's gone... I run up to her slumped against a rock, bleeding. There's no spear, just a hole where she was stabbed. Stabbed? Who could have? I'm startled by noise behind me and I jump around. 

Katniss is standing behind me with tears running down her face. 

"Katniss... I don't know what..." But she runs to Rue, ignoring me completely. She starts sobbing as she hugs Rue's body. I walk up to her and put my hand on her shoulder, tears streaming down my own face. "Katniss, I'm so sorry." 

I should have protected Rue. I shouldn't have left her with the others... Where are the-?! 

"You oshould be sorry." Katniss turns around and growls at me. What?  

"Katniss, I couldn't find her." I say simply, stunned. 

"But you did find her." She whispers sounding so deadly. 

"Katniss, what are you talking about?" 

"You killed her!" Katniss explodes. She waves her hands at me and I look down at myself. What!? No! This can't be true! 

"Katniss! I didn't do it!" I scream as she throws herself at me. Me holding my bloody sword that I can bet is Rue's blood. Me with my shirt soaked in it. Me with my red, bloody hands murdered Rue. "Katniss, stop!" I scream as she pushes me towards a cliff. I can't see the end, it's so dark. And right before I can do anything, she throws me into the eternal darkness I probably belong in for what I did.