Chapter 23- Jay's POV

Thanks for caring about Zaavia in the last chapter guys. It'll kind of be hard to write without her in it, but I think I can do it. In this chapter, I decided to do something different. Who's ever wondered what's going on in Jay's head this whole time? We've only got to see what Dot sees and does. In this chapter, it'll give you a little sneak peek into Jay's head! Enjoy~~~

***********************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 23- Jay's POV-

 I had to leave her. After finally getting together with Dot, I have to risk losing her. We had all just split up to hunt for food. I have my bow raised, searching for a target to take my frustration out on. Peeta and Titus chatter while looking for edible roots. I still can't get used to thinking that. Peeta chattering with Titus. A real, live Peeta. Well, at least I hope this is a real, live Peeta. It would suck if I tried so hard in this arena for nothing. Dot wouldn't know I love her, and Peeta and Katniss would go back to being nothing but characters in a book. I couldn't stand it if this was all a dream.

BOOM!

A cannon crashes over us. I whoosh around and meet Peeta's wide eyes. It could be Katniss or Dot. Just then, little Althea crashes through the bushes, out of breath.

"Althea!" Titus screams. "Are you okay."

She nods frantically, gasping for air.

"Where's Dot?" I ask, alarm present in my voice.

She points behind her. "Help." She wheezes.

I take off running, not caring if the others are following. Dot's in trouble. I don't even know where I'm going, just running in the direction Althea pointed.

BOOM! 

Another cannon goes. Two people? Did Dot get in a fight and take someone down with her? I hope not.

I see a hovercraft in the distance, pointing me where to go. I can't tell whose being lifted up, just a large boy and a small (maybe) girl. I run full speed now that I know where I'm going. I have to find out if it was Dot. And I know as soon as I crash into a small clearing. I breathe a sigh of relief as I take in her state. She's breaking down crying. I immediately drop to my knees and wrap my arms around her.

"I thought it was you." I pant. "I thought it was you."

That's almost all I can think. I thought it was her. But it's not. She's okay. Is she okay?

"What happened? Are you okay?" Her thin shoulders are racking with sobs. She looks more vulnerable than I've almost ever seen her. She shakes her head frantically. She's not okay? I look over her, checking for any wounds. I don't see any. Then what's... Oh, god.

"What happened, Dot? Who died?"

Her teeth chatter as she shakes her head at me. Translation: I can't talk.

I can't read her mind or anything, I've just known her too long. I hug her, trying to get her teeth to stop chattering. She's damp and so cold. I rub her arms, trying to warm her up. She can't get sick. 

Then everyone else crashes through the trees, eyes searching for danger. When they see there is none, they turn to us, concerned. 

"Dot? What happened?" Katniss try's to ask her. She doesn't answer, just continues sobbing into my shirt. So she turns to me. "What happened? Is she hurt?" 

"I don't think so," I hold her chin up, making her look at me. Her red face looks pained as she stares into my eyes. "Dot, can you please tell us what happened?" 

"Zaavia," she chokes out, fresh years rolling down her face. Everyone gasps around me as they realize. Zaavia is dead. How could she be dead? She was one of the strongest among us. I shake my head as Althea comes over and wraps her small arms around Dot's back. When I look around, almost everyone is crying. We'll all miss her. One of our own little family. The only family I've ever really known besides Dot. 

I look down at Dot and don't shed a tear. I need to be strong for her. I'll always be strong for her. She nestles her face into my chest, taking a huge ragged breath. I close my eyes, tightening my arms around her. Thank god it wasn't her. I focus only on her breathing to calm me. After awhile, it slows. She breathes softly in the cute way she breathes through her nose and exhales in a puff through her mouth.  

I look around at my broken group. Everyone seems broken, but I can tell they're trying to pull it together. Yes, we will survive. Dot will survive. That's what I try to convince myself as we walk back to the cave. I carry Dot in my arms as she sleeps.  

When we get back, I set her in her sleeping bag and make sure she's warm. Then I check all of the food we found. Katniss shot a rabbit and some sort of turkey maybe? The others found some edible roots. It's not much but it'll do for now. Everyone's eyes droop and Katniss says she'll take first watch. Peeta says he'll stay up with her. Despite Katniss's protests, he won't back down. I smile and wiggle my eyebrows at him. He smirks at me as I get in the sleeping bag with Dot. 

She turns over where her head is on my chest. She breathes in deeply as I run my fingers through her hair. I wonder what she's thinking, if she's having good dreams. I hope so. She went through a lot watching Zaavia die. I kiss her forehead as my eyes flutter closed. 

Right before sleep drags me under, I just have time to wonder who was the second person who died.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Sorry for all of the short chapters lately. I'm trying to find the time to write at school. Hopefully I can have the new chapter up soon and it'll be longer. So, what'd you think of Jay's POV? Did I play the love a little hard? I have a tendency to do that. I don't know how much longer this book is going to be, but I don't think it should be long before I have to wrap everything up. Also, (random thought) now that Cato's dead, everything is going to be different. Any guesses about what's going to happen? Again, thank you to everyone reading this! Everyday when I see more people have read it, it makes my day. Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter. I can tell ya'll are some of my true fans. Also, also,(Yes, I have a lot to say) I'm going to be editing when I get done with the book so if you have any suggestions, I'm probably going to be changing some things drastically.

Love you because you're reading this!,

Caty199973