Chapter 30- Epilogue

Last chapter... Here we go...

Chapter 30- Epilogue

One of the first things I do when I get back is walk up to Alex McCain and punch him in the nose. It felt good, thinking I had that little bit of power. Though little, it felt much bigger. Everyone had stared in awe as I walked down the halls. The once invisible girl who got noticed when she was "kidnapped", is now the center of attention. The girl who everyone suspected to come back weak and more fragile than before, or not come back at all. Now, I'm stronger than I've ever been. I feel like I've discovered myself and I am loving it. 

"Hey, Blye!" Lily calls, tackling me from behind. I tense up, that sense still left over from the Hunger Games. About this point you're expecting me to tell you it was a dream, right? That's usually how these things end. I almost thought it, too, when I woke up in bed. Everything seemed normal. From the way everybody hugged me, though, I knew it wasn't a dream. Jay's also there to reassure me and comfort me whenever I have my doubts. I've even told Lily. My devoted friend didn't believe me at first but after some convincing, she came around.

Now, she hugs me like I might disappear into thin air. She's done that every time she's seen me or Jay. She does it to reassure herself us being here isn't a dream. I smile softly at her and try to get her to release her stranglehold on me.

"So, what're you doing tonight, Blye?" She asks, flipping her red hair over her shoulder. I used to envy her before I saw all the ways my hair could look. Now, in my red shirt, it looks a much darker red than her's. Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention she calls me Blye now? I don't really have a problem with it after not being able to correct all of those people in the Hunger Games. 

"I have a date with Jay. He's taking me somewhere as a surprise." I roll my eyes because he knows I hate surprises. I always go crazy trying to figure them out. She smiles sweetly. She had been delighted when we came back and Jay and I were together. That, and the fact that we were missing, makes us the new talk of the school. Kids come up to me everyday, asking questions and trying to be my friends. I push them away, not used to being noticed. I've actually realized that it doesn't matter how many friends you have. What matters is how many true friends you have.

"Ooooh!" Lily coos. "Can I do your hair?"

That's one thing that hasn't changed. I don't like being dressed up.

"No," I groan.

Lily pouts, giving me the Bambi eyes. I groan again. "Fine, you can do my makeup."

She squeals and I'm quick to correct myself. "Just a little bit, though." I warn. But that's enough for her as she jumps up and down, squealing. Grabbing my arm, she pulls me to our next class, talking about all she's going to do. 

What have I gotten myself into?

***********************************************************************************************************************

"Bye, Mom! Bye, Dad!" I call, scratching Noddles behind his ear before grabbing my jacket to leave. Lily had just left after fixing me up. I was impressed with her. She was no Cinna, but in the little bit of makeup she did, I looked amazing.

"Hold on, Blye!" My mom calls, running down the stairs. As you could have guessed, after the first hugging, our reunion was a little awkward. Now she's trying to be a good mother. And that includes hugging me every chance she gets.

Of course, it's still a little awkward for me. Especially when she kissed my cheek.

"You look beautiful, darling." She smiles as I try to rub the red mark off my cheek. I smile back a little nervously.