Chapter 22- "I'll Miss You, Too, Zaavia."

• Dedicated to My real friend Zaavia:)

Chapter 22- "I'll Miss You, Too, Zaavia."

Before I even know what's happening, a figure jumps out from behind a tree. The weird thing is, he doesn't have a chance to fight back as I aim for his neck. It's disgusting as my sword goes through his neck and hits the bone. It gets lodged in as he falls to the ground, spitting up blood. I almost throw up when I see it's Cato. But I don't have time to focus on him as I run to Zaavia.

"Zaavia! Zaavia! Talk to me!" I shake her slightly. I hardly even notice a cannon fires for Cato as I watch Zaavia smile a bit. 

"Nice job taking him out." She coughs a little. I examine her until I see a bloody hole in her stomach.

"No," I whimper, tears forming in my eyes.

"It's fine." Zaavia continues to smile. 

"Are you insane, Zaavia?! You're dying!" I scream. 

"I probably deserve it." She coughs again.

"Zaavia, you don't deserve this." I whimper.

"Yeah, I do. I was the stupid one who said I'd go alone. At least Titus didn't get hurt. I was the one who was a jerk to you."

I smile, trying to say it's alright. "It's okay, Zaavia. I am stupid sometimes."

"Still, I'm sorry." her breathing slows and my chest tightens. "At least I'll get to see my brother."

"Yeah." I take a deep breath.

"Tell everyone I'll miss them." tears roll down her face as she looks at me. I nod my head and hold her hand. She gestures me forward so I can hear her. I lean down, tears landing on her face. "I'll even miss you, stupid." And when I lean up, she's gone.

"Zaavia?" I whimper but the cannon crashes and I know she's not coming back. "I'll miss you, too, Zaavia." I take a deep breath and stand up. Without looking, I pull my sword out of Cato's neck and walk away, knowing the hovercrafts need to get the bodies. When I hear the birds start to sing, I know she's gone. I break down, falling to the ground. 

I remember the look on her face when Katniss almost shot her. I remember her laughing when we were tickling Titus. I remember when she finally broke down, letting us hug her. I remember everything. Now, she'll never be here to make fun of me and call me stupid. She'll never be here to be strong for us. She'll never be here again. I sob into my hands. How can I protect anyone else I love if I can't protect one of the strongest people in the arena?

I hear a rustling to my left but I can't even move to protect myself. I'm sobbing uncontrollably and my who body is numb with cold. I'm almost glad when Jay bursts through the trees. He takes me in his arms and hugs me tightly.

"I thought it was you. I thought it was you." He whispers. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Through my tears I manage to shake my head. He looks at me, making sure my body is okay. He then figures out why I'm crying. 

"What happened, Dot? Who died?"

My teeth chatter as I shake my head, trying to tell him I can't speak. He hugs me, rocking back me back and forth. The others then crash though the trees and take in our state.

"Dot? What happened?" Katniss asks. When I'm still crying, not talking, she turns to Jay. "What happened? Is she hurt?"

"I don't think so. Dot, can you please tell us what happened?" Jay makes me look at him.

"Zaavia." I whimper. I hear everyone suck in a breath as they figure out what happened. Althea comes over and hugs my back, tears streaming down her own little face. I see mostly everyone's crying. Titus, Althea, Rue, and even Katniss has tears running down her face. I can't see all the sadness anymore so I snuggle my face in Jay's chest. His arms never leave from around me, warming my body. It's not long before I cry myself to sleep.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Small chapter but it explains things. I'm thinking of doing the next chapter in Jay's POV. What do you think? Also, this chapter was very sad to write. I was meaning to kill her off before I even put her in the book. I tried not to get attached to Zaavia but I get attached to all of my charaters. So, R.I.P. Zaavia. Hopefully I have written her good enough so everyone who reads this is as sad as me when she died. Hopefully she will be missed. Thank you for reading and I will try to get the next chapter up soon.

<3 R.I.P. Zaavia <3