Prologue

41 years ago, the peaceful kingdom of Avalor was ruled by King Raul and Queen Lucia. They had three daughters: their eldest twins Elena and Esmeralda, and their youngest daughter Isabel. One fateful day, a sorceress named Shuriki invaded Avalor and got rid of the king and queen. She went to get rid of Elena but instead, she was pulled into the amulet that was around her neck. Shuriki tried to strike down Esmeralda but instead put an ageless curse on her and banished her from Avalor. The royal wizard Alacazar had put a counter curse on Esmeralda. She could come back to Avalor a year after Elena chose the princess to set her free from the amulet. As an addition to her return to Avalor, Esmeralda would also be the wife of Alacazar's future grandson, who would be named Mateo. So Esmeralda took off into the great ocean, hoping to return one day.

When her little boat had landed, she'd landed in Enchancia. She was met with a woman in a regal gown and a man in a formal suit. The king and queen. "Who are you my dear?" The king asked. "P-Princess Esmeralda of Avalor. Please. I have been banished. I have nowhere else to go." She pleaded. The queen knelt down and kissed the teenager's head. "Don't worry darling. You are safe with us." She said softly.

-39 years later-

Esmeralda walked down the majestic halls of the castle of Enchancia. She'd been hidden for years, but now that King Roland II was king, she was his adopted daughter. She never told him of Shuriki or Elena. All she told him was that she was 16 forever and was banished from her home kingdom. She had two younger siblings: twins Prince James and Princess Amber. Esmeralda had been given the nickname Esme, since that's what James had started to call her when he was 6.

When Roland told Esme he was getting married to a commoner, she was elated and happy for him. Miranda made him happy and that made her happy. She would be gaining a stepmother and a stepsister that she would treat as if they were blood. After Sofia and Miranda both moved into the castle, she had her gaze fixated on her sister's amulet. Little did Sofia know that Esme's twin Elena was trapped in there. Esme would never tell her the truth about the amulet. Deep down in her heart, Esme knew that Elena had chosen Sofia to be the one to free her. And now our story begins.