Chapter Six

Copyright ©Shazneem Tamana

Chapter Six

I dragged myself upright, moaning once again at the aches I felt. I wiped my face with the back of my hand and went to the living room. I looked around to find what was so unappealing that had my mom so disappointed.

I fixed the cushions so that they were at a right angle, then dusted and set a vase of flowers on the coffee table. It was a little luxury treat for me--a mix of wildflowers that had a variety of colours and smells. I smiled at them. I had hand-picked them from the garden. The garden that I had broken my back to make it decent enough for the children to play in.

I looked at the time as I put the mop away. It was four in the afternoon and I had once again forgot to eat lunch. I went back into the kitchen and opened the fridge. Picking up the bread, I saw '65 calories per slice' was highlighted on its bag and I quickly put it back. My mouth watered at the sight of cheddar cheese. I imagined gooey cheese in between two pieces of toasted bread. I licked my lips.

How long had it been since I had eaten that? I couldn’t remember.

My fingers tingled to pick up the cheese but the calorie count flashed through my head. I looked in the fridge, noticing everything was full fat and Adam’s favourite foods. There was nothing I could eat.

As I shut the fridge and turned, pain shot through me. I sucked in a breath, letting the pain go. My core throbbed hard and I whimpered. Going to the cupboards, my hands rummaged through them until I saw tinned tuna. I grabbed it and then remembered, to my delight, we had low-fat mayonnaise in the house. I took it out, then searched for pasta. I found the whole wheat pasta I was looking for and saw the white pasta next to it. I eyed it, wanting to boil white pasta not the healthier variety but I knew I wasn’t allowed to. I closed the cupboard quickly and put a hand-full of pasta in boiling water.

Why does whole wheat pasta or rice take so long to cook? I wondered.

While I waited, I started cleaning the cupboard doors.

Once the pasta was done, I let it cool. I made the tuna and mayonnaise mix. I went through the fridge again, looking for any salad or something healthy to eat. I smiled when I saw cucumber.

Chopping off an inch of it, I added it to my plate. I then mixed the pasta and tuna together.

Trying to sit down hurt so much. It had taken me several times but I finally forced myself into my chair. A painful yelp came out of my mouth but I tolerated it and started eating.

It tasted bland, making me grimace but I knew I had to eat it. I shoved it in, swallowing quickly.

I looked up to see the clock signal five-thirty. Fear gripped me hard. He would be home by six-forty-five. I had an hour to cook for him but beyond that, what frightened me was I didn’t know what I would be facing soon.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

What do you think?

Let me know

Vote

Comment

Fan

Xo

Ms Shazneem

Copyright ©Shazneem Tamana