Chapter Eight

Copyright Shazneem Tamana

Chapter Eight

I took a step back as I looked into eyes that mirrored my feelings. Pure shock clawed at me. There stood in front of me, was Bella’s mom, Carina. She was like a mother to me when I was younger. Her light green eyes shielded from view as she closed her eyelids for a couple of seconds. Confusion etched my forehead causing my brows to furrow. I heard her take a deep breathe and open her eyes.

“Is that you Kira?” she asked.

I tried to talk but no words formed, so I nodded. Realisation that I was seeing my second mom after nine years rose within me. I wanted to grab onto her and never let go. I wanted to cry all my pain away as I was enfolded within her protective embrace but neither of us made a move for the hug that once was natural and often a daily occurrence.

Nerves peaked within me as her features changed from shock to complete blankness void of any emotions. I readied myself and finally spoke.

“How are you, Mama?” I asked her.

I saw her wince then she said, “You lost the right to call me that sometime back. After everything that’s happened.” Her words both hurt and confused me.

“I don’t understand. I know I haven’t been in contact-”

My words were cut short as her hand halted me from speaking further. She took a step forward saying, “You didn’t come to Bella’s wedding. I had her in tears the night before the wedding. She was crying that only Tessa was her bridesmaid. You never once called her. We sent you an invite and still you never came.” Carina had tears escape her eyes as did I.

“Bella got married? When?” I whispered. They were the only words I could speak as her words reeled in my mind.

Bella had gotten married and I missed it.

The realisation that I had missed her wedding forced more tears down my cheeks.

I was invited? But I never seen an invitation.

A sob escaped my mouth as I looked at her pleadingly. This wasn’t my fault. Her brows furrowed and she took a step back as if shielding herself from my emotions.

“Don’t cry as if you never knew Kira. You should’ve seen Bella and Tessa’s faces when Adam walked into the bride’s room at the venue. Their eyes lit up thinking finally their sister-like best friend had come out of her world to theirs. But instead of you being with him, she was.”

There was heartbreak combined with disdain in her voice.

Adam went to Bella’s wedding? When? How did I not know? And who did he go with? I asked myself.

Someone pushed me aside to get something from the fridges. I looked at her. At least I knew by her tone that Mama didn’t hate me.

“Who did he go with?” I asked her in a whispered tone as people went past us.

She raised her eyebrow and snorted. I remember we used to laugh whenever she did that.

“As if you don’t know Kira. Lacey of course, and the way she walked in was as if she was you. She hugged us all and told us of how you couldn’t make it. So she came to keep Adam company. How could you sent her Kira?”

My head ached with the information she was giving me. I didn’t understand what was happening.

It’s more like you don’t want to understand, I scolded myself. I opened my mouth to say something but Mama shook her head.

“Kira, don’t say anything. I’m sorry but Bella was heartbroken. As soon as Lacey and Adam left the room, she broke down. Thank God Tessa was there to hold Bella’s hand. Look, I need to go. It’s six o’clock. Goodbye Kira.”

Mama turned and walked off. The sight of her going, hurt so much. I hadn’t had a chance to say my peace. I shook myself and turned toward the checkout. I couldn’t believe Adam had gone to my best friend’s wedding let alone with...

...my mother.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Comment

Vote

Fan

Thank you

Xo

Ms Shazneem

Copyright ©ShazneemTamana