Chapter Two

Copyright ©ShazneemTamana

 Chapter Two

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping as they welcomed the rising sun. My daily routine started at six but today, due to lack of sleep, I woke up at four-thirty. I stretched as I got up. Just as quickly, I winced and hunched over, hugging my body as the pain reminded me of what had happened again last night.

I fixed my bed and made sure it was pristine as if I had not slept in it. I could still hear him snore so I continued with the chores that needed doing; the ones that were silent.

Just as I folded the last pair of jeans I had just ironed, I looked up to see the wall clock. A gasp escaped my lips because the time was seven. I was shocked.

How could time have gone by so quickly?

He would be up and ready by seven-forty-five! The breakfast had to be ready at that time and I realised that I had  still  to shower.

As panic mode set in, I cleared the iron and stored the ironing board. In a rush to get it all out of the way, I burned my arm. Hissing in pain, I ignored my searing skin.

I quickly took the basket full of ironed clothes and dumped it behind the door of my bedroom, making sure it was out of sight.

I took fresh clothes for me and jumped in the shower. This was one of my pleasures...the hot water cascading down and cleansing my body. All my sweat ran away with the water, taking my stress and worries with it. Only for a little while at least.

I was jerked out of escapeville and realised I had been under the shower for quite some time.

Oh God! What if it’s eight?

I trembled in fear as the thoughts of being late whizzed in my mind like a stampede of horses trampling about the grounds. I didn’t want the day to start off bad because of my own incompetence.

Why couldn’t you do things right? I asked myself as I shut off the water with some disgust toward myself. I hurried and dried my skin with the towel that was on the rail. Quickly putting on my cotton bra and panties, I put on my loose jeans, baggy shirt and jumper.

I wasn’t allowed to wear dresses, tight tops, t-shirts, tight jeans or the like. My husband said none of it suited me, for my frame was wide and ugly.

I looked in the mirror and couldn’t help but agree. There, I saw a failure; a waste of time and space. I knew I should be grateful that he was still with me. Who else would want to be with me? My big hazel eyes looked at my face in the reflective surface. My long red hair, dripped onto my light green jumper. I towel-dried it, threw the towel into the laundry bin and rushed into my bedroom. I brushed my hair quickly, feeling hair break but it was better than a broken rib.

I turned, running out of my room only to collide into Adam. I gasped and quickly backed a step away.

I shouldn’t have been running.

I cursed inwardly at myself. His blue eyes narrowed, darkening into the colour of the pacific ocean as anger swirled in them. I begged whoever created this world to stop what I thought would happen. He took a step forward and I took a step backward.

“Well, well...looks like your low-life ass is on fire. To top it, it’s nearly eight and there’s no activity in the kitchen,” he said. His head tilted and slowly, an evil smile curved its way onto his cruel, menacing lips.

I shook with fear and slowly processed his coming words too slowly. “Looks like there will be activity elsewhere.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

What do you think?

Let me know

Vote

Comment

Fan

Xo

Ms Shazneem

Copyright ©Shazneem Tamana