Chapter 7- Under the Rain

XANDER'S POV

"Sorry, Alex. I didn't mean it, but I admit it was really fun! If you want to fix things out, meet me at L.A. next week."

Wait...I need a minute to process this.

So it was actually Lara after all?

"Are you actually gonna see her?" Emily asks as she pierces me with a wary look, making me snap my eyebrows together in deep thought.

I mean, how can I be sure that Lara did it? I just can't seem to absorb the notion that she really did it.

"I don't know, baby. I don't know...It just doesn't fit the missing piece of the puzzle." 

Our heads jerk to my phone as it chirps with another message.

It's Lara again.

Emily gives me a little nudge with her shoulder, urging me to see the message right away. I slowly pick my phone up and open it. She leans closer to read as well.

"I changed my mind, Alex. Can I see you tomorrow instead? Let's talk about it."

After reading the message, I am now confused as ever. Emily and I exchanged perplexed looks.

She opens her mouth first. "Why would she suddenly change her mind?" Skepticism creeps up in her tone.

"You know how crazy she would get, right?" I shake my head in annoyance, again remembering the ruckus Lara had caused in my pad more than a year ago. She is definitely screwing things up even more.

"It's my graduation tomorrow." She softly informs, and it is more of a warning than a reminder.

My tensed lips stretch out into a small smile as I reach for her hand to caress it. "I know...If you're thinking that I have forgotten about it, then you're wrong." I then bring it to my lips to kiss it.

Her eyes narrow as she gives me a gauging look. "So you're not entertaining the idea of flying to L.A. tomorrow to see her, right?"

I laugh inwardly at her paranoia. "Of course, baby. Why would I? It's your graduation and we will be celebrating afterward!"

Her face lightens up in relief.

"I'm just...I just can't digest this yet. Don't you find it absurd? Lara and I have broken up eons ago, long before I even worked at Women's Royal. She has no other means..." A faraway look enters my eyes as I try to study the situation.

"You're thinking that she's kind of unlikely to be the one who caused all of this? Remember, your ex is crazy."

I rub my hands on my face in frustration.

She continues. "But what's her use—if she really did it—when the board is already talking about your case?"

Well, Lara mentioned that if I want to fix things out---

Oh right. Emily is right. There's nothing I can do anymore. I have been exposed already, and the fate of my license is out there in their hands. It's just my compulsive tendencies to get things in order and right. Just the thought of staining my credentials irks me, that's why I'm desperate to iron this out and convince Dr. Morrison to just leave this case as nothing had happened. I am also damn worried about Mrs. Robinsons, and my other pending surgeries. I have been itching to do the operation since last week and now there is a big chance that I might not be able to do it, and it really annoys the hell out of me.