Chapter 10:

I sit on my bed, cross-legged. My hands resting on my knees, palms facing upwards. Pain radiates from my cheek and I know that if I looked in a mirror it would show a purple bruise starting to form.

God I’m an idiot, why did I try to stand up to Klaus? My temper always gets the best of me. A tear slips from my closed eyes and I let it slowly fall, enjoying the feeling of letting my emotions escape. I have always been independent but right now I miss my family. I miss my house. I miss my friends. I even miss my little brother, as annoying as he can be. And it’s my own fault I’m here, my curiosity is the reason I was dragged miles away from my home.

A sound of footsteps interrupts my self-pity. Someone stops just outside my door and pauses for a bit, before three knocks sound out. Quickly whipping away the small tear, I slide off my bed and walk to the door. I am surprised to see Elijah standing on the other side. He is dressed in black pants and shirt, but his hair is slightly messier than usual. A small smile appears on his face as I step into view but his eyes drop to my swollen cheek and a concerned look takes its place.

“That doesn’t look so good” he said, indicating to my face.

“Thanks Elijah” I roll my eyes “ that’s what every girl wants to hear.

“Right, my apologies. May I come in?”

I step to the side to let Elijah through the doorway. He gently pushes past me and makes his way across the room, sitting down gracefully on the edge of my couch.

“How may I help you Elijah?” I say as I sit down next to him, slightly less gracefully, and fold my legs under me.

“Actually I was wondering if I could help you”

 “How do you mean?” the confusion was clear in my voice

Elijah shifts uncomfortably and I could tell it was a sensitive subject.

“I was wondering if you want to drink some of my blood…to help heal you” he replies.

 I was silent for a moment, the thought of drinking vampire blood had never crossed my mind. I’m not a fan of blood but it would be convenient if the bruise was suddenly gone. I finally decided that it was worth it.

“Ah, sure…thanks Elijah”

“Think nothing of it” he says as he shifts closer to me and exposed his wrist from under his shirt. He bares his fangs and pauses briefly before biting into his flesh. Immediately a trickle of blood leaks from the corner of his mouth and onto the floorboards. I make a mental note to order one of the hybrids to clean that up. Elijah offers his bleeding wrist to me and I take it in one hand. Hesitantly I bring my face closer to the gash and before I knew it my lips were wrapped around the wound. Blood seeped into my mouth and I was shocked at the taste. It wasn’t good, but it wasn’t bad either, it was surprisingly tasteless. I took a few sips before pulling away and whipping my mouth on my sleave. Instantly the pain on my face lessened and it took less than 10 seconds for it to be completely healed.

“That’s a neat trick” I say to Elijah “it must come in handy”

“On many occasions” he agrees “but I must tell you, healing you was not the only reason I came to see you”

“Oh?” I shift in my seat, wondering what he was going to say next.

“I came to ask about your vision”

 I think back to that abstract message and try to recall as much detail as possible “There isn’t much I can say about I’m afraid” I say honestly “most of my visions are clear scenarios that are likely to happen in the future, like the vision I saw of your brother in the restaurant” I assumed Klaus told Elijah how I came to find him and Elijah’s nodding confirmed this belief “however, sometimes I get unclear and abstract versions of the future and I have to figure out what they mean.” I told Elijah all I could remember about the vision. He listened intently

“Could it mean that Aneatha is alive?” he asked

“Its possible, but there are hundreds of ways that vision could have been interpreted. For example it could mean that Klaus is about to go on a killing spree and dagger you and Rebecca”

Elijah looks at the floor “Well it wouldn’t be the first time that has happened”.