Chapter 1 - His Spell

Love is hard.

That's what I learned.

Me, falling for a guy who I have known for a long time, it's a spell I fell into.

A terrible one.

I have tried to confess but all he ever did was treat me like a friend. I did not have any courage at all and I still don't.

He likes girls that are just terrible. All I could do was remind him of what is bad and what is good. All I can do is support him.

We are both in high school now and he is still falling for the wrong people and here I am, still not having the guts to say something.

I can't say how I feel.

--

"Hey, Grace!", my friend Joyce came running towards me.

I turned around and waved awkwardly, "Hey!"

"What happened over there?", she gestured towards Drake, my childhood friend, hanging out with Britney the so-called bad girl of high school. "When the hell are you going to confess to him?"

"He--"

"Come on Grace! I know you are better than this! It's been like how many years you have been like this!", Joyce crossed her fingers to show how close we have been.

I looked down, "I....I don't have the courage.."

"Oh please! You, who has the power to have a solo in a chorus, is scared to saw three words??"

"He likes me as a friend," I looked at Drake and Britney talking to each other, "I'm just going to support him."

"Come on! You don't know that for sure though because you never said anything!!!!"

I looked at Joyce, "I know...I know...."

"Then why aren't you--"

I walked past her, "Please don't..."

"Grace!"

I walked away from her as she watched me leave.

I know that I should confess sooner or later....but I am just...not confident...

I'm scared for what might happen. I'm scared that I might be rejected.

All I can do is stop Drake from falling into wrong decisions

That's all I can do.

For the day until I gather courage, I will speak out. That's what I will do.

--

The next day...

"Bye Britney...", Drake said as Britney kissed him on the cheek and left with a smile.

I leaned against my locker as Drake walked towards me with a smile and a wave, "Hey Grace..I'm sorry for letting you wait."

"Don't worry I just got here," I reassured with a smile.

'Alright...let's go."

On Wednesdays, we would always go to the library to work on some homework or study for certain quizzes or tests.

Once we entered the library, it was awkwardly silent. Everytime we enter the library either me or Drake would start talking about our day and just start a conversation. But this time, no words were spoken at all.

Drake and I just kept shooting glances at each other, just staring at our textbooks.

I couldn't handle the silence, so I spoke, "Drake..."

"Hmm?", he looked at me as I looked back, "What makes you like a girl like Britney?"

"She is beautiful..."

With a piercing on her nose and lip....

"She is nice..."

Only to you, but not other people...

"She works hard in her classes..."

LIterally bribes the teachers with money or some other method...

"She is a great person."

Who probably had around 17 boyfriends who she has used and then left.

I looked down, "I...I don't think she is a good person.."

"What do you mean?"

I looked at him, "Drake...you do know that your past relationships with people like her never worked out."

"Well, yeah....because they all were the same and just used me and just did horrible things."

"I'm worried that Britney might do the same to you."

It was silent again. Drake looked down, thinking about what I just said. I could tell that he was rethinking what he was thinking about Britney and trying to realize what I was trying to say.

He looked back at me and said, "I appreciate you being worried about me, but I like Britney and I want to have a chance with her. If something bad happens, I'll let you know. Thank you for trying to support me."

"If that's how you feel, alright. I understand," I smiled a forced smile. If that's how he feels, I have to support him. That's all I can do.

I can't say how I feel yet.

It hurts...it does hurt....but.....I guess I have to embrace the pain a little bit more...because of him..