Chapter Fourteen

A/N: Hey everyone, long time no see! .... Again. I'm sorry for the really long absence. My life's been kinda hectic and I had lost all interest in my stories, but I'm determined to finish them now, even if it means ending things differently than I initially planned. Anywho's, I hope you enjoy this new chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James' PoV

I must have fallen asleep again, because the next thing I know, Jo is shaking my shoulder. I blinked rapidly, wiping the tears away from my eyes. "Bad dream?" Jo asked, her voice soft and kind. I briefly debated whether I should tell her I had overheard her and Kendall's conversation or if it would be best to keep it to myself. I ended up deciding on an in-between option.

"No, it was beautiful." That part was true. "But it'll never happen. I mean, Kendall hates me. We could never..." I trailed off, unsure how to finish. Jo sighed, rubbing my back in circular motions.

"You never know, James. You never truly know what's going on in someone's head." She smiled, encouraging. I humphed, reluctant at first but her words made me think. I couldn't use my powers on Kendall, but I could use them on Jo and find out if I had been too quick to judge the situation. I took a deep breath, letting my mind open and reached out to hers. I had to be careful as some people are more sensitive to someone poking around in their head than others. But Jo didn't seem to notice the initial connection, so I felt it safe to continue. It felt like forever but in reality it was a fraction of a second from opening my mind to listening to the rest of the conversation.

My eyes widened involuntarily when I heard Kendall's confession. He loved me? My mate loved me back? I was overwhelmed with a whirl of emotions, at the moment not caring whether Jo noticed or not. I had so many questions. "Are you okay?" My connection was broken by the blonde actress' voice.

"Yeah," I mused, my thoughts far way before shaking my head, "I mean, yes." I spoke with a little more clarity and intent. "I think I'll be okay." I gave her a smile, before being quickly reminded once again that I needed to eat. Damn, I was starving. Jo chuckled at the sudden loud rumbling noise, patting my shoulder as she stood.

"Come on, momma, you need to eat." I raised an eyebrow but she ignored it, leaving the room. I slowly stood and followed her to the kitchen.

"He loves me?" I muttered under my breath, as if speaking the words might help solidify the fact into my mind. It helped, kinda. But it brought up another question, one that I hadn't thought about before, something that could explain Kendall's behavior and confusion. Was he a pure blood?

Pure blood monsters as a general rule disliked me and wanted me gone. But those were usually members of prestigious, ancient clans and packs that stubbornly held onto strict traditions and the infernal belief that vampires were the werewolves mortal enemies. It was those beliefs and traditions that got them killed by the hundreds, right to the edge of extinction. But some survived, at least long enough to reproduce. So it wasn't entirely out of the question.

I scratched the back of my head. In one sense I was relieved that Kendall didn't actually hate me, but in another, I was more confused now then before. If I was gonna find out the truth, I'd have to do a lot more digging into the pure bloods than I had in a long time.

Putting it to the back of my mind for now, I sat down across table from Jo. We chatted and I decided to dig a little deeper into the girl who was now my roommate. I mean, I had known this girl for several years now, but in truth I hardly knew her. I could tell you more about outer space then the girl who had been dating the love of my life, which is pretty sad.

"So, James," Jo leaned forward on the table, a smile on her face, "have you given any consideration to what you're gonna name the baby?" I raised an eyebrow before shaking my head.

"Given as I just found out like yesterday, no, I haven't thought about it."

"Well, you have eight months to decide on a name, so make it a good one." Jo chuckled leaning back in her seat. I let out a humorless chuckle, before sighing. If my calculations were correct, I would be unable to hunt for at least a week, maybe more, putting everyone at risk. I was gonna regret this but I had to tell her the truth. She had more than proven her trustworthiness. I just hoped she believed me.

"More like 6 weeks," I admitted hesitantly. The confused look that came over her face would have been comical if the matter wasn't so serious.

"What do you mean "six weeks"?"

I took a deep breath. I couldn't back out now. "You remember last Halloween, when I first met Muffy?" Jo nodded, the confusion seeming to slowly melt away. "I was a vampire that night. But in reality, I'm half vampire, half werewolf. I think that's why I was able to get pregnant." I paused, hesitating before Jo quietly finished for me.

"The baby's growing faster because of that, isn't it?" I nodded.

"I can already feel them move and kick. I'm not normal." I felt kinda silly adding that last part when it had already been established, but I felt it was worth stating out loud.

I just hoped I wasn't making a mistake.