Chapter One: Mated to my human best friend

James' PoV

"Can you believe we have the place to ourselves tonight?" Carlos asked jumping up and down like an excited two year old. Logan and Kendall shared mischievous grins.

"You know what that means!" Logan grinned right before he and Kendall shouted simultaneously, "Party!" I raised an eyebrow, looking up from my magazine. Ever since Kendall accidentally hit Logan in the back of the head with a hockey puck a few months ago, Logan was acting weird and definitely hadn't been the same genius worry-wort we grew up with. Kendall and Carlos had quickly adjusted to the new bad boy party-loving Logan but it still bugged me. And weirdly, I had taken over Logan's role as the responsible one.

"Mrs. Knight will be back on Monday so a party might not be the best idea." I reminded them. They pouted, giving me three of the most adorable puppy faces ever. I sighed through my nose and rolled my eyes as I tossed my magazine onto the clear glass coffee table. "So let's make sure the house is cleaned up spotless before she gets back." Just because I'd become a tad more responsible then before didn't mean that I had stopped LOVING a good wild party. Their eyes lit up like lightbulbs as soon as the words left my mouth. "Alright, we have a LOT to do before tonight. Carlos, you go invite people. Jo, Camille, the Jennifers, every teen in PalmWoods. Logan-"

"I'll get food and drinks." he interrupted as he grabbed his leather jacket and ran out the door.

"O-kay. Good enough for me then. Kendall, you and me'll take care of moving the furniture and music. And..." I turned on my heels to face Katie who looked up at me expectantly. "How old are you?" I asked quizzically. She rolled her eyes.

"Sixteen."

"Good enough. You go get decorations and be quick about it." I handed her money for the decorations and she bolted out of the apartment like a gunshot. I turned to Kendall with a grin on my face.

"You're letting Katie join the wild teenage party that more then likely will involve sex and alcohol?" He asked, raising one of his bushy eyebrows at me. I thought it over for half a second then nodded. "If she gets pregnant, I'm gonna kill you." He shook his head. "Gonna help me?"

I grinned as I helped the beautiful blonde move the furniture out of the way. Yes, I called Kendall beautiful. I've secretly had a crush on him for years, ever since I first looked into those perfect earthy green eyes of his. Not to mention, I'm also an 1,800 year old vampire. Well technically, I'm turning 1,796 in July but hey, at least I'm still gorgeous.

"James, stop it!" he shouted when I started tickling his ribs. I grinned more and tickled harder. Soon we were rolling on the ground having a tickle fight. "Alright!" He shouted breathlessly, rolling us over so he was on top of me. "I give, I give." We lay there for who knows how long, panting heavily and staring into each others eyes. Kendall's eyes flickered from mine to my lips. I cocked my side to the side slightly as our faces drew closer. Our lips almost touched when the front door flew open and Logan burst into the apartment singing some song to himself until he noticed us.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asked, leaning out of the kitchen where he was putting the stuff he bought.

"No. Need help with that?" Kendall spoke quickly and leapt off me, running for the kitchen. I rolled over onto my stomach before getting to my feet. Carlos and Katie arrived a few minutes later and all of us pitched in to help decorate. We finished in record time with almost thirty minutes to spare. As we stood by the kitchen and admired our work, I snuck a peek at Kendall to find him staring at me. As soon as he realized, he was caught he turned away, his cheeks turning a brilliant red. I smirked. Nobody is impervious to the Diamond charm. I thought to myself. Suddenly a weird feeling coursed through me making me shiver and a single thought popped up. One I never thought I hear.

Kendall's my mate.