Chapter Twenty-seven

The Test

Chapter Twenty-seven

"Listen, I don't like what's happening any more than you do. Got that, Alexandria?" He said.

"I prefer Lexi, not Alexandria." I told him, going through the now open car door he wasn't even a gentleman enough to open for me. "And trust me, if I had a choice on the matter, I would still be inside the comforts of my room, wasting my life away on a laptop and only leaving when I hear about the presence of food. I would much rather be doing that than sitting here in this mess of a truck." I had to move various wrappers and junk out of the way. "Oh my god, what are you, a pig? Wait, is that an old burger? Okay, I want out of here."

"Relax, it's just what I didn't finish from lunch earlier. I meant to clean it up but my darling mother forced me to leave immediately to pick you up. It's not my fault that my mom and your step mom are like perfect besties."

"Well, it's not my fault that I have a step mom." I yelled, causing both of us to go silent. The rest of the ride was silent as well. I turned on the radio without permission once which only made it more awkward. He ended up switching it off and bringing us back to complete silence again. "I'm sorry, okay? It's not your fault we were both forced into this. I say we make the best out of our hate filled evening and show them exactly why we're not the perfect match they say we are, agreed?"

He released a long breath before nodding slightly. "You've got yourself a deal, Lexi. It sounds better than sitting awkwardly all night while watching you eat the food I pay for and wishing for nothing more than to rip your head off."

"Yeah, sounds like a plan, um, wait, what was your name again? It started with a J, right? I'm almost completely certain." I asked him. He let out a laugh and stopped to park in the driveway of the restaurant we would be spending the next few possible hours at.

He turned to me. "Yes, it starts with a J." He told me, opening his door and getting out. I started to do the same but he came around quickly and got it for me.

"Oh, so now you decide to be a gentleman?" I asked as I stepped out of the truck.

"Just this once." He replied. "And to answer your other question, my name is John."

❒❒❒❒

I didn't know what was worse, suddenly standing in the test with a headache that made me fall to the ground, or finding out that John was the mysterious person from my dreams. And believe me, if I had the chance to think about it more I would have. But right now, I was on a mission. 

Pulling myself up, I looked at my surroundings. The test still looked the same, the trees were still green, the sun was still shining and the water seemed fine. But I knew that wasn't the case and by the look Natalie gave me, she knew this too.

"What in the heck is it with these darn headaches?" I asked her, rubbing my head and silently begging for some relief. "Does this always happen to you when you come in here or is it something wrong with me?"