Chapter Eight

The Test

Chapter Eight

"Come on, you can't hide here forever." I pushed again.

"Yes I can." she said, staying right where she was.

"Please, Annie." I did the best puppy dog face I could. 

"No, no, no. Stop it with the face. Stop it right now." I kept going. "Fine. But if anyone and I mean anyone is hateful to me, i'm coming back."

I smiled, glad she finally gave in. We have been here for awhile. Since she hasn't been around, I told her about what's happened so far, including the hair brush incident. She told me how she's stayed hidden, being near the food helps apparently. Then she told me people were probably missing me and I should get back, hearing her say this, I told her to come with me.

"I knew you would give in." I said. She sent a glare my way.

"Just come on." She ran ahead of me. We walked in silence until we got to a group of fruit trees. She grabbed two oranges and gave one to me. We began peeling and then eating.

"So, is this Jack fella something special to you?" she asked. 

At her words, I swallowed the orange slice fast, causing me to cough violently. "Why?" I croaked and could feel my cheeks getting hot.

She laughed. "Just a vibe I was picking up on. I mean, he's mainly what you keep talking about. Judging by the redness on your face he is." she laughed harder, causing me to blush more.

"It's because no one talks to me remember. Jack does, so i'm around him a lot. We're just friends." I could tell she didn't believe me.

"Whatever you say. Let's keep walking." she walked away, me following behind her.

Once we finally made it back to where people were, the glares came our way. I didn't have much time to take in the hate though, because I heard a familiar voice calling me.

"Lexi, there you are. I've been looking everywhere for you." Me and Annie both turned to see Jack making his way toward us. "I never saw you come back yesterday. I went to look for you but it was already night so I figured you came back. Do you realize how worried you had me?" He said a bit angry but relieved sounding. Then he did something he's never done before, he hugged me and for whatever reason I hugged him back. I heard Annie mutter something from behind me but I dismissed it. We pulled away from each other.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I was so tired last night I kinda crashed." I said, leaving out how I was avoiding him this morning.

"It's fine." He said, flashing me his normal Jackish smile. "So what did you and Mr. Official dude's helper monkey talk about?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "She has a name you know."

"Yes I am aware of this fact. So, what did she say?" He asked again.

"Just that the mark showed up from a glitch to the system and that that was also why it was so hot yesterday." I explained, choosing my words carefully.

"That doesn't sound so important that I couldn't come with you."

"I know, don't ask me why she didn't let you come. Didn't make sense to me either." I lied through my teeth. I desperately wanted off this topic. I turned around.

"Um, this is Annie. I met her this morning." I said, changing the subject.

"Hi, i'm the Annie she mentioned just now and you must be Jack." she said, coming up from behind me and reaching out her hand.

"That's me." he said, taking it..

Right then a very high pitched, blood curdling scream rang through the test.

❒❒❒❒

For those of you, if any of you are reading my story, I would like to say i'm sorry this chapter is so short. Inspiration is coming in small amounts. I will write more but for the time being please vote and comment and tell me what you think.

 I'd love to hear what you think and if this story is even worth writing.

Suggestions are always helpful. I'm actually in search of some names if you have any you want to share.

But whatever, hope you like my story.