Chapter Twelve

The Test

Chapter Twelve

I could feel someone shaking me. 

"If you don't stop shaking me and let me go back to sleep, I swear I'm going to bite your hand off." I grumbled while rolling over and trying to sleep again. Whoever they were, they stopped but I could still feel their eyes on me. I turned back around. Obviously, I wasn't going to be falling asleep again any time soon. "Who are you and what do you want?" I asked while rubbing my eyes. I couldn't see who it was because it was still dark out. This person better have a good reason for waking me up before morning. 

"Come on, princess, just get up." There is only one person that would call me that.

"Seriously Jack, why did you wake me up? It's still night time." I was now sitting up.

"No, it's not. It may be dark now but soon the sun is going to come up and I want to show you something. So quit whining and get up." Jack said. He picked me up off the ground and began pulling me. He as careful not to wake up anyone sleeping in the shack around me. He pushed me out of the opening in the shack. I tried wiggling against his grip on my arm but failed.

"Remind me again why we're friends." I said. He just laughed and continued pushing me.

Why did he have to be so annoying?

My eyes soon adjusted to the darkness and I could somewhat see where he was taking me. He stopped at the lake and sat down below one of the trees nearby. I followed behind him, sitting down too.

"Now tell me why you brought me here." I said, growing more and more irritated.

"I thought I would be nice and show you the sunrise." He told me and i'm pretty sure I could see him smiling. 

"Oh yeah? So when is it going to happen?"

"I don't know. Eventually it will and when it does, you're going to thank me for waking you up." 

"Fine. So, we just wait then?" I asked.

"Yep."

❒❒❒❒

"You were right. Thanks." I said, turning to him. The sun had come up minutes earlier and I instantly wondered why I hadn't gotten up early to see the sunrise before now. It was beautiful how all of the oranges, pinks and other colors mixed in the sky. 

"Told you. Maybe you should listen to me more, you just might learn something." Jack was smiling again. I wondered why he smiled all the time.

"Why do you smile so much?" I asked without thinking. I couldn't believe I actually did that and I immediately felt heat rushing to my cheeks because of my sudden question. "Sorry, it just kinda slipped out. Um, sorry."