Chapter Eighteen

The Test

Chapter Eighteen

I kept walking away, trying to work out everything I was just told. This didn't sound like a good thing, somebody else could disrupt and they seemed to know that I could too.

Suddenly, someone blocked my path, forcing me to stop. I pushed them away, not caring who they were and continued walking. They caught up to me and stopped me again. I tried pushing them again but this time they stayed right where they were, forcing me to look at them. 

"Something happened, didn't it?" Jack asked, gripping my arms. He looked concerned but I ignored it, lowering my head so that I was facing the ground again instead of facing him. I didn't answer him. But Jack wouldn't have it. "Come on." He said, pulling me behind him while he started walking away. He took me to the edge of the lake, now free of people because we showed up. He sat down, dragging me down with him and waited for me to say something. Moments passed and still no one spoke.

"Just tell me what happened, Lexi. Was it something that girl said? You can tell me." He said, taking my hand in his own. It was comforting, having him here, holding my hand. I knew I could tell him, I had to tell him. Still, there was that doubt. If this got around, anything could happen to me and Riley. Jack may not tell anyone but I couldn't tell him. This didn't just involve me anymore.

"I can't tell you." I responded, releasing our intertwined hands and scooting slightly away from him.

"Why not?" He moved towards me so we were closer again. I got up.

"Because, you don't have to know everything that's said to me, Jack." I told him, not able to come up with a better excuse.

"Well, sorry if I was trying to help." He grumbled under his breath, getting up too. I turned away from him. "You know, the last time you didn't tell anyone what was bothering you, you ended up crying and I had to come comfort you. So what, are you going to do that now and cry again?"

"I never asked you to do that. You decided to come out there that night. You're the one who came and found me. You're the one who did it, not me." I snapped, turning to face him again. 

"There's no reason to get mad, I just don't understand why you can't tell me when I already know you can do your weird disrupting thing, Lexi. Don't you trust me at all?"

"Of course I trust you, why else would I tell you that I can disrupt? Why else would I tell you about remembering my brother and having the dreams?" I yelled a little to loudly. I really needed to calm down, this wasn't anything to get this mad over.

"Then why don't you trust me now, why don't you want to tell me? At least tell me that." He hissed, clearly getting angry too.

"I already did. You don't have to know everything." I screamed, my voice getting louder instead of calming down. Jack looked like he was about to say something else but suddenly froze, his eyes fixed on something behind me. I heard the splashing of waves behind me but instead of focusing on it, I kept my attention on Jack. "What, have nothing else to say?" I felt water hit my leg and it was then that I heard screams from across the lake. Before I could turn around, Jack grabbed me, pulling me away from the lake.