Chapter Twenty

The Test

Chapter Twenty

I grabbed Jack's arm, pulling him towards the memory wipe tree. He didn't hesitate, allowing me to lead him. But he still had questions.

"What are we doing here, princess?" He asked.

"I always come to this tree when something big happens. For some reason, it's one of my favorite places in the test." I tell him.

"Has something important happened?" 

"Kinda. We need to call Natalie and get answers. She hasn't come down. She normally does in times like this." 

"So, tell me, how exactly do we call her down?" I thought about it and came up with a slight idea.

"Natalie." I started yelling but he cut me off, putting a hand over my mouth.

"Stop being loud. You'll draw attention to yourself, that's probably the last thing we need right now." I licked his hand, causing him to let go. "You keep getting stranger, you know that? Why would you lick my hand, Lexi?"

"It was over my mouth. I did what I had to."

"Whatever." He said, rolling his eyes. "So what, was that your big plan on talking to Natalie, just yelling her name in hopes of her coming in?"

"That's as far as I got." I said, sounding a little defeated. I heard Jack let out a sigh.

"Are you sure it would work?" Jack asked, taking my hand in his.

"No, i'm not. I just figured that if she always knows my thoughts, she would have known I want her down here so I can talk to her. Waiting isn't working, we have to do something." He nodded in agreement before we both cleared our throats, getting ready for what we were about to do. "Wait, you said we shouldn't be loud. I'm pretty sure both of us yelling will draw attention." 

"Are you ready or not?" He asked me, followed by me nodding. "Okay, let's just do it already then." 

As we were about to begin, bright pixels came from every direction, filling a space in front of us, forming a human shape. She walked toward us with a face which had a hint of frustration but remained partially hidden by the normal business like act she played.

"You know better than to even think about calling me." She said, crossing her arms over her chest, more of her irritation showing.

"It's not a rule." Jack told her.

"I trusted you were smart enough to realize you shouldn't do it." I didn't have time for this.

"We have to talk to you. It's about-" 

"Your friend leaving the test because he can disrupt. I know your thoughts, Lexi. I know that's what you've been thinking." Natalie finished, cutting me off.