Chapter Twenty-three

The Test

Chapter Twenty-three

Though I tried, I couldn't lay down and be still, taking it easy and not moving so much like my friends told me to do. My head was still pounding and my leg felt sore from where that thing hit me. But my mind was also occupied by other things, making my brain get confused and my headache worse. In this mood, it seemed impossible for me to stay still.

I kept thinking about Riley being back in the test. Why was she here? How did she get back? Has anyone besides me noticed? Did it have something to do with what Natalie warned me about? I could tell they were questions I wouldn't be getting the answer to any time soon, if ever. I tried forgetting about it again, knowing that it wouldn't work, and rested my head against Jack's chest, breathing in his scent that was oddly warm and comforting. He hasn't left my side since he brought me to the shack, i'm thankful for that.

I felt him move some hair from my face, placing it behind my ear and pulling me closer to him. "You doing all right, princess?" He asked. I only nodded, sinking deeper into his embrace. I knew I would have to tell him about Reid, i've learned that keeping things from him never seemed to work out. I just needed to tell him without anyone else around, with all my friends in the shack with us, it was a problem. Then, I would have to tell him about Riley. I've come to notice that this day has been very eventful.

Then, someone came into the shack, causing noise and making Annie question them on their sudden freak out.

"What's wrong with you? There's someone in here with a major headache and you barge in and probably made it worse. What in the heck?" Annie fumed.

"I'm sorry." I heard them plead, causing me to lift my head up from Jack and look at them. I saw none other than Brittney. You know, the hair brush hogging nose picker. 

"Whatever. Just explain why you're here." Danny said, walking up and joining the conversation too.

"They're back, all of them, back."

"Who? Who's back, Brittney?" Jack asked. She didn't answer, only ran out of the shack and waited for my friends to follow. They did, Jack staying with me til they got back. I heard shouts of happiness outside, followed by Annie and Danny running into the shack again, ready to tell what they saw.

"She's right, they're back. Everyone who died at the lake attack, they're in the test again." Then, she showed a huge smile, something I hadn't seen since that horrible day. "And Luke is back too."

❒❒❒❒

I had tried to free myself from Jack to see Luke with the others, he had a different idea, though. He told me to stay where I was, that I shouldn't be getting up. I ignored him, using what little strength I had to push away from him and make my way outside the shack, holding my head and stopping from my head being dizzy.

"God, I told you to stay put, princess." Jack said, offering me his hand. "How about I carry you on my back til we get there, okay? That way we can both see Luke and I can keep an eye on you."

He lifted me up and placed me on his back, pulling my arms around his neck and I leaned my head against him. My legs latched themselves around him for dear life and he began walking. Ahead of us, Caleb and Danny were running, Annie already far ahead of them and making her way towards the figures in front of us. 

There was a crowd, grabbing and hugging friends they thought they had lost. I saw Luke, his blond hair thrown everywhere, looking like the majority of us did when we had first woken up in the test. He was holding his head like I was and when his gaze caught mine, he walked towards me, seeming to not even see our friends around us.